Julie Andrews quotes
“Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.”
As I expected. "Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way."
“All is fair in love and war.”
“Not everyone has fallen victim to the royal fever sweeping through London.”
“Sometimes opportunities float right past your nose. Work hard, apply yourself, and be ready. When an opportunity comes you can grab it.”
“When one door closes, another window opens.”
- Victoria Grant: You know, pretending to be a man does have its disadvantages.
- Carole "Toddy" Todd: My dear Count, you just said a cotton pickin' mouthful.
“Shortly after you and your brother were born, your father and I divorced, and we each took one son. Obviously, I got second pick.”
“Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, the medicine go down, the medicine go down. Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, in the most delightful way.”
“- Captain von Trapp: Berlin. They've offered me a commission. I've been requested to accept immediately and report to their naval base at Bremerhaven tomorrow.
- Maria: I knew this would happen. I didn't think it would be so soon.
- Captain von Trapp: To refuse them would be fatal for all of us. And joining them would be unthinkable.”
“- Mr. Banks: Just a moment, Mary Poppins. What is the meaning of this outrage?
- Mary Poppins: I beg your pardon?
- Mr. Banks: Will you be good enough to explain all this?
- Mary Poppins: First of all, I would like to make one thing quite clear.
- Mr. Banks: Yes?
- Mary Poppins: I never explain anything. ”
- Victoria Grant: I was the leading soprano for the Bath Touring Light Opera Company...
- Carole "Toddy" Todd: You're very athletic for a soprano.
- Victoria Grant: That's because I had three brothers.
- Carole "Toddy" Todd: Oh, I know what you mean. I grew up with two older sisters.
“Once upon a time, in a magical kingdom known as Andalasia, there lived an evil queen. Selfish and cruel,
she lived in fear that one day her stepson would marry and she would lose her throneforever.
And so she did all in her power to prevent the prince from ever meeting the one special maiden with whom he would share true love's kiss.”
“- Mary Poppins: Silence please, it's time to go to sleep.
- Jane: Oh we couldn't possibly go to sleep, so many lovely and excited things happened today!
- Mary Poppins: Did they?
- Jane: Yes! When we jumped into Bert's chalk picture!
- Michael: And we rode the merry-go-round, and the horses jumped off...
- Jane: And we all went riding down the...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Maria: But I don't have another one. When we entered the abbey our worldly clothes were given to the poor.
- Captain von Trapp: What about this one?
- Maria: The poor didn't want this one.”
“We don't slump like this!”
“- Parrot Umbrella: Awk, that's gratitude for you. Didn't even say goodbye?
- Mary Poppins: No, they didn't.
- Parrot Umbrella: Look at them! You know, they think more of their father than they do of you!
- Mary Poppins: That's as it should be.
- Parrot Umbrella: Well, don't you care?
- Mary Poppins: Practically perfect people never permit...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- King Marchand: I don't care if you are a man.
- Victoria Grant: I'm... not a man.
- King Marchand: I still don't care.”
“Close your mouth, please, Michael. We are not a codfish.”
“When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.”