Basil Rathbone quotes
“What's Conover? No more than a symbol of the greed and cruelty and lust for power that have set men at each other's throats down through the centuries and the struggle will go on, Watson, for a pearl, kingdom, perhaps even world dominion... till the greed and cruelty have burned out of every last one of us. And when that time comes, perhaps even...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Lady Margaret Carstairs: [presenting her diamond] My husband gave it to me on our fifth wedding anniversary.
- Sherlock Holmes: 423 carats, isn't it?
- Lady Margaret Carstairs: The original diamond was over 700 carats.
- Sherlock Holmes: Really?
- Lady Margaret Carstairs: [to her son] Your father had it cut. Less ostentatious.
- Dr. John H....” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Sherlock Holmes: Thank you, Lady Margaret. We'll be as unobtrusive as possible.
- Lady Margaret Carstairs: That would be a novelty from a policeman.”
“- Levasseur: You'll not take her while I live.
- Peter Blood: Then I'll take her when you're dead.”
“Sometimes I just crave to play in Shakespeare again.”
“As one grows older one becomes more critical of oneself and less of other people.”
“Never regret anything you have done with a sincere affection; nothing is lost that is born of the heart.”
“- Levasseur: With your brain and my strength, there is nothing we cannot do.
- Peter Blood: But there's very little I can't do all by myself.”
“- Sherlock Holmes: This man pervades Europe like a plague, yet no one has heard of him. That's what puts him on the pinnacle in the records of crime.
- Doctor Watson: What's he do?
- Sherlock Holmes: Everything and nothing. In his whole diabolical career, the police have never been able to pin anything on him.”
“- Doctor Watson: A woman? You amaze me, Holmes. Why a woman?
- Sherlock Holmes: Because the method, whatever it is, is particularly subtle and cruel. Feline, not canine.”
“Whatever Watson has found out, you'll know inevitably. I have unbounded confidence in his lack of discretion.”
“I don't like your work, Conover. I've seen quite a bit of it both here in London and and elsewhere on the continent. Don't like the smell of you either. That underground smell, the sick sweetness of decay. You haven't robbed and killed merely for gain like any ordinary halfway decent thug. No, you're in love with cruelty for it's own sake.”
“The nose of the police dog, although long and efficient, points in only one direction at a time.”
“- Sir Guy of Gisbourne: Do you know any prayers, my friend?
- Robin Hood: I'll say one for you!”
“The family cannot be broken up by a whim or a caprice or even by the... by the sin of one of the partners in the marriage. Our life must go on as it has done in the past.”
“For some time, I have known that in uniting my life to yours, I have made a mistake. But this I must bear for the sake of my public duty and for the sake of my child.”
“- Dr. Watson: We told you, you were taking an awful risk.
- Sherlock Holmes: We had to have a confession and these egomaniacs are always so much more chatty when they feel they have the upper hand.”
“- Sherlock Holmes: Very effective, my dear Watson!
- Doctor John H. Watson: Elementary, my dear Holmes, elementary.”
“During the time he's lived here, Ramson has undoubtedly established another character for himself, perhaps several others, while by now, familiar to the people of La Morte Rouge and quite above suspicion. He could be almost anyone in the village.”
“Conditions have changed since you left, Don Diego. Your father resigned. Age, you know! Since then, the peons have become more industrious. As to the caballeros. They're encouraged to think of their own affairs. We take care of the government!”
“- Jerrold Hunter: We don't want your interference, Mr. Holmes.
- Sherlock Holmes: I interfere whenever and wherever I like, Mr. Hunter.”
“- Doctor Watson: But Holmes, that's impossible.
- Sherlock Holmes: Anything is possible until proven otherwise.”