Mahershala Ali quotes
“- Tony Lip: I dunno. Personally I think if you stuck to the classic stuff it would've been a big mistake.
- Dr. Donald Shirley: A mistake? Performing the music I trained my entire life to play?
- Tony Lip: Trained? What are you, a seal? People love what you do! Anyone can sound like Beethoven or Joe Pan or them other guys you said. But your...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I live in a castle, Tony! Alone. And rich white people pay me to play piano for them because it makes them feel cultured. But as soon as I step off that stage, I go right back to being just another nigger to them. Because that is their true culture. And I suffer that slight alone, because I'm not accepted by my own people 'cause I'm not like...” (continue)(continue reading)
“So if I'm not black enough and if I'm not white enough, then tell me, Tony, what am I?”
“You never win with violence. You only win when you maintain your dignity.”
“Let me tell you something, man. There are black people everywhere. You remember that, okay? No place you can go in the world ain't got no black people, we was the first on this planet.”
“At some point, you gotta decide for yourself who you gonna be. Can't let nobody make that decision for you.”
“- Kinuba: Vector! I should have known!
- Vector: What you should have known, my friend, is that nobody is greater than the game.”
“- Vector: Don't you think it's time for you to go to Zalem?
- Chiren: What I want is not there.”
“- Alita: You made the biggest mistake of your life.
- Vector: And what's that?
- Alita: Underestimating who I am.”
“Social media has colonized what was once a sacred space occupied by emptiness: the space reserved for thought and creativity.”
“The people that I admire have a wonderful balance of self-belief and humility.”
“I have to say goodbye to things in order to take on bigger things that I've always wanted to do.”
“Understand that we are all co-creators of our respective destinies.”
“- Tony Lip: I don't make the rules down here.
- Dr. Donald Shirley: No? Then who does?
- Tony Lip: You're saying just 'cause I'm white and they're white? You know, that's a very prejudiced thing you just said there. A very prejudiced thing. I got more in common with the Hymies at 2nd Avenue Deli than I do with these hillbilly pricks down here.”
“- Dr. Donald Shirley: What on God's green earth are you doing?
- Tony Lip: A letter.
- Dr. Donald Shirley: Looks more like a piecemeal ransom note.”
“- Newton Knight: Mr. Moses, what are you?
- Moses Washington: A free man, captain.
- Newton Knight: Sure is.”
“As bad as you are, those things are worse.”