Journalism quotes122 journalism quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
“The tabloids create their own stories about people's lives that don't exist.”
“The tabloids, instead of being about alien babies and stuff, it's my triplets, quadruplets, marriages, feuds.”
“It’s like writing, uh, your own obituary. I suppose to look back at it and say, you know, I cared enough to go to these places and write, in some way, something that would make someone else care as much about it as I did at the time. Part of it is you’re never going to get to where you’re going if you acknowledge fear. I think fear comes later,...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Sean Ryan: Hey, Marie. I need you in Palestine, not Sri Lanka.
- Marie Colvin: Sean, there is an unreported war there.
- Sean Ryan: Yes, because journalists have been banned for more than six years. I can’t let you go. ”
“- Ben Bradlee: We have to be the check on their power. If we don't hold them accountable, then, my God, who will?
- Kay Graham: Well, I've never smoked a cigar. And I have no problem holding Lyndon or Jack or Bob or any of them accountable. We can't hold them accountable if we don't have a newspaper.”
“- Jenny Lerner: I want exclusivity.
- President Beck: Now listen, young lady. This is a presidential favour. I'm letting you go because I don't want another headache. And I'm trusting you because I know what this can do for your career. Now, it may seem like we have each other over the same barrel but it just seems that way.”
“- NewspaperEditor: I'm not looking for writers. I'm looking for ideas. Ideas with heart. If you pitch me a... a great idea with heart, you get to write it. That's the wonderful world of freelance.
- Parker Concorde: Well, actually, I'm working on this... psychic hotline article.
- NewspaperEditor: Good. How's it end?
- Parker Concorde: How...” (continue)(continue reading)
“You know how a woman gets a man excited? She shows up. That's it. We're guys, we're easy. Of course for that you can't charge six bucks an issue, now can you?”
“- Gloria: You know what could've prevented all this, don't you?
- Charles 'Chuck' Lane: No, what?
- Gloria: Pictures. How could you make up characters if everyone you wrote about had to be photographed?”
“Do you know what my husband said about the news? He called it the first rough draft of history.”
“Our standards have to be higher than anyone else because we are the standard of everyone else.”
“- The Journalist: Most writers want to be famous.
- Jackie Kennedy: You want to be famous?
- The Journalist: No, I'm fine as I am.
- Jackie Kennedy: You should prepare yourself, this article will bring you a great deal of attention.
- The Journalist: Ah. In that case, any advice for me?
- Jackie Kennedy: Yes. Don't marry the president.”
“You do not get to do this, they do not get to smack us just for asking questions!”
“- Roger Clark: If the government wins and we're convicted, the Washington Post as we know it will cease to exist.
- Ben Bradlee: Well, if we live in a world where the government could tell us what we can and cannot print, then the Washington Post as we know it has already ceased to exist.”
“I thought my job was to tell the public the truth - the facts, pretty or not - and let the publishing of those facts make a difference in how people look at things. At themselves, at what they stand for. That's shame on me. This is the only thing I ever wanted to do. And for a while, a long while, it was an honor.”
“You wanna cover Brooklyn, then cover Brooklyn! But let me tell you something, you can't cover Brooklyn from a barstool in Manhattan.”
“Now he's at The New Republic Magazine, see what happens when greatness is demanded from you?”
“- Walter 'Robby' Robinson: Baron told us to get the system. We need the full scope. That's the only thing that will put an end to this.
- Mike Rezendes: Then let's take it up to Ben and let him decide.
- Walter 'Robby' Robinson: We'll take it to Ben when I say it's time.
- Mike Rezendes: It's time, Robby! It's time! They knew and they let it...” (continue)(continue reading)