“Mary Poppins” quotes(1964)
Plot – Great confusion rules over the Banks household: the nanny has quit over the two rather lively children. The father, not believing much in the attempts of his naive wife to look for a new nanny, takes control of the situation and has an ad published in the “Times”. While a long queue of candidates is waiting to be interviewed by Mr. Banks, a girl drops from the sky called by a strange letter written by the children. She introduces herself to the head of the house and after asking him few questions, without waiting to be interviewed in turn, she declares that she will test the family for a week and after that she will decide whether to accept the job or not. During the trial period, to the great delight of the two children, all sorts of misadventure happen to the Banks: Mr. Banks even gets fired. And soon enough the family learns what is the right tune of quiet and serenity: everything will turn out for the best and Mary Poppins will return to where she came from.
All actors – Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, David Tomlinson, Glynis Johns, Hermione Baddeley, Reta Shaw, Karen Dotrice, Matthew Garber, Elsa Lanchester, Arthur Treacher, Reginald Owen, Ed Wynn, Jane Darwell, Arthur Malet, James Logan, Don Barclay, Alma Lawton, Marjorie Eaton, Marjorie Bennett, , Walter Bacon, Frank Baker, Robert Banas, Marc Breaux, Art Bucaro, Daws Butler, Cyril Delevanti, George DeNormand, Harvey Evans, Paul Frees, Betty Lou Gerson, Clive Halliday, Sam Harris, David Hillary Hughes, Bill Lee, Queenie Leonard, Doris Lloyd, Lester Matthews, Sean McClory, Mathew McCue, Dal McKennon, Hans Moebus, King Mojave, Alan Napier, Marni Nixon, J. Pat O'Malley, George Pelling, Thurl Ravenscroft, Richard M. Sherman, Skippy, Bert Stevens, Hal Taggart, Larri Thomas, Ginny Tylershow all
“Mary Poppins” Quotes 35 quotes
“Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, the medicine go down, the medicine go down. Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, in the most delightful way.”
Our daughters' daughters will adore us and they'll sing in grateful chorus, "Well done, sister suffragettes."
“- Mr. Banks: Just a moment, Mary Poppins. What is the meaning of this outrage?
- Mary Poppins: I beg your pardon?
- Mr. Banks: Will you be good enough to explain all this?
- Mary Poppins: First of all, I would like to make one thing quite clear.
- Mr. Banks: Yes?
- Mary Poppins: I never explain anything. ”
“- Mary Poppins: Silence please, it's time to go to sleep.
- Jane: Oh we couldn't possibly go to sleep, so many lovely and excited things happened today!
- Mary Poppins: Did they?
- Jane: Yes! When we jumped into Bert's chalk picture!
- Michael: And we rode the merry-go-round, and the horses jumped off...
- Jane: And we all went riding down the...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- George Banks: Ellen?
- Ellen: Yes sir?
- George Banks: Tell the other applicants they may go, the position has been filled.
- Ellen: The others, sir?
- George Banks: Yes, the others! How many nannies does she think we need in this house?
- Ellen: [to Andrew] The position has been filled.”
“- Mrs. Banks: As a matter of fact, since you hired Mary Poppins, the most extraordinary things seem to have come over the household.
- Mr. Banks: Is that so?
- Mrs. Banks: Take Ellen, for instance. She hasn't broken a dish all morning.
- Mr. Banks: Really? Well, that is extraordinary.”
“- Parrot Umbrella: Awk, that's gratitude for you. Didn't even say goodbye?
- Mary Poppins: No, they didn't.
- Parrot Umbrella: Look at them! You know, they think more of their father than they do of you!
- Mary Poppins: That's as it should be.
- Parrot Umbrella: Well, don't you care?
- Mary Poppins: Practically perfect people never permit...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Close your mouth, please, Michael. We are not a codfish.”
As I expected. "Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way."
“- Bert: It's true that Mavis and Sybil have ways that are winning, and Prudence and Gwendolyn set your heart spinning! Phoebe's delightful, Maude is disarming...
- Penguins: Janice, Felicia, Lydia...
- Bert: ...charming! Cynthia's dashing, Vivian's sweet! Stephanie's smashing, Priscilla's a treat.
- Penguins: Veronica, Millicent, Agnes, and...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Jane: Lime cordial, delicious!
- Michael: Strawberry! Mmm.
- Mary Poppins: Rum punch! Quite satisfactory [hiccup].”
“- Bert: All right, I'll do it myself!
- Mary Poppins: Do what?
- Bert: Bit o' magic!
- Michael: A bit of magic?
- Bert: It's easy! Let's see... You think [he, Jane, and Michael do so], you wink [they do it], you do a double blink [they do it], you close your eyes... and jump [they jump onto the drawing but nothing happens]
- Jane: Is something...” (continue)(continue reading)
“We're clearly soldiers in petticoats, and dauntless crusaders for women's a-votes! Though we adore men individually, we agree that as a group they're rather stupid.”
“In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun, and the job's a game!”
“Never judge things by their appearance... even carpetbags. I'm sure I never do.”
“- Bert: Bert'll take care of you, just like I was your own father. Now who's after you?
- Jane: Father is.
- Bert: What!?”
“- Bert: Let's sit down. You know, begging your pardon, but the one my heart goes out to is your father. There he is, in that cold heartless bank day after day, hammed in by mounds of cold heartless money. I don't like to see any living thing caged up.
- Jane: Father in a cage?
- Bert: They makes cages of all sizes and shapes, you know....” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Jane: Mary Poppins, we won't let you go!
- Mary Poppins: Go? What on earth are you talking about?
- Michael: Didn't you get sacked?
- Mary Poppins: Sacked? Certainly not. I am never sacked!
- Jane: Oh, Mary Poppins!
- Jane, Michael: Hurrah, hurray, hurray, hurray, hurray, hurray...
- Mary Poppins: Neither am I a Maypole. Kindly stop spinning...” (continue)(continue reading)
“We better keep an eye on this one. She's tricky.”
“That's a pie crust promise; easily made, easily broken!”
“- Lady in the Bank: There's something wrong, the bank won't give someone their money.
- Depositor: Well, I'm going to get mine. Come along, young man, every penny! ”