“Stage Door” quotes(1937)
Plot – A group of aspiring actresses shares a boarding house in New York and the daughter of a billionaire joins them. Her father manages to give her the leading role, but the girl who had been firstly chosen commits suicide.
All actors – Katharine Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, Adolphe Menjou, Gail Patrick, Constance Collier, Andrea Leeds, Samuel S. Hinds, Lucille Ball, Franklin Pangborn, William Corson, Pierre Watkin, Grady Suttonshow all
“Stage Door” Quotes 29 quotes
“You can't have peace without a war.”
“I predict a hatchet murder before the night's over.”
“- Terry Randall: The trouble with you is you're all trying to be comics. Don't you ever take anything seriously?
- Judith: After you've sat around for a year trying to get a job, you won't take anything seriously either.”
“- Jean Maitland: I didn't like the way he looked at me.
- Annie: You should be glad he looked at you at all.
- Jean Maitland: He kinda makes you feel like you ought to run home and put on a tin overcoat.”
“- Terry Randall: I'm not an emotional person.
- Anthony Powell: You will be when I get through with you. I'll mold you into one.”
“I don't want to be molded! I believe in acting with my brain.”
“- Terry Randall: I see that, in addition to your other charms, you have that insolence generated by an inferior upbringing.
- Jean Maitland: Hmm! Fancy clothes, fancy language and everything!
- Terry Randall: Unfortunately, I learned to speak English correctly.”
“- Eve: I don't like to gossip, but that new gal seems to have an awful crush on Shakespeare!
- Susan: I wouldn't be surprised if they get married!”
“I'm beginning to feel that there's something definitely wrong with me.”
“We started off on the wrong foot. Let's stay that way.”
- Miss Luther: I can't tell you how interested I was in your discussion of "Twelfth Night". It was so intelligent.
- Terry Randall: Oh, thank you very much. I'm afraid that the rest of the inmates didn't share your enthusiasm.
“- Anthony Powell: You are a faker!
- Terry Randall: Oh, we're both fakers. Isn't faking the essence of acting?”
“It takes all kinds of people to make a world!”
“- Carmichael: Is she turning out as well as you expected?
- Anthony Powell: She may have possibilities, but right now she's a rank amateur! About as emotional as a fish.”
“- Anthony Powell: I'll have to ask you to pay attention to the Director.
- Terry Randall: What am I supposed to do? Walk around like a puppet or use my intelligence?
- Anthony Powell: You've to do what you're told!”
“If you were a little more considerate of your elders, maybe Mr. Powell would send his car for you someday. Of course, he would probably take one look at you and send you right back again, but then you have to expect that.”
“- Judith: Now that you're here, we're all giving up.
- Terry Randall: At least I'm gonna have a try at it. If I can act, I want the world to know it. If I can't, I want to know it.”