Chess quotes32 chess quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
“It’s an entire world of just 64 squares. I feel safe in it. I can control it, I can dominate it. And it’s predictable. So, if I get hurt, I only have myself to blame.”
“I don't know what's more pathetic - a man that plays chess with himself, or a man that doesn't see he's already lost.”
“Chess is basically a search for truth, right?”
“- David Sumner: Baby. You don't have to learn chess to please me.
- Amy Sumner: I'm not learning chess to please you, baby. I'm learning so I can kick your ass.”
“- Gen. Sepp Dietrich: [playing chess] Checkmate.
- Schmidt: Congratulations, Herr General.
- Gen. Sepp Dietrich: Nothing has changed, my dear Schmidt. All the years you have been with me, I cannot remember the last time you won the game. You must realize by now I am a master of strategy. There is no one in the Fatherland who has furthered the...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Dulcy: I wouldn't mind learning chess.
- Leopold: I feel it would be tame for you.
- Dulcy: I like the way the stallions look.
- Leopold: They're called knights. That's a knight. Not a stallion.”
“He complained about the TV cameras, about the lighting, about the table and chairs, and the contrast of the squares on the board. His hotel room, he said, had too nice a view. None of this has anything to do with chess of course. But maybe it did. If he won, he'd be the first American world champion in history. If he lost, he'd just be another...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I'm going to do this. Then you're going to do this. Then I'm going to do this. Now you're going to want to do this, but I'm going to do this. And when you're thinking about doing this, I'm going to do this. And then the game is over. So what say you give me twenty dollars and we save twenty minutes?”
“In chess and in war the key to winning is to anticipate what your opponent will do in advance. Think two moves ahead. The art of asymmetrical warfare is less about inflicting damage than provoking a response.”
“- Scary Spice: I'll move that fairground horse to there. Sort that out!
- Ginger Spice: You can't do that!
- Scary Spice: Says who?
- Ginger Spice: Says Mr. Chess! It's been in the rules for thousands of years!
- Scary Spice: Well I'm gonna break the rules and set this little fairground horse free amonst all these little square fields, like that.”
“- Ivana: Do you know how we keep warm in Russia?
- Austin: I can guess, baby.
- Ivana: We play chess.
- Austin: I guessed wrong.”
“You're playing each piece like losing it hurts. This ain't checkers. You want my king, you got to come get my king. All these other pieces are just the means to do it.”
“Chess is perfect.”
“I'm playing chess with my dad. Chess. It's a game, like Monopoly.”
“You didn't know chess was a contact sport, did'ja.”
“- June Carver: Do you know what I like even more than chess?
- George Wade: Pokémon?”
“- Bonnie: No. It'd kill him not to play in the park. He loves it.
- Bruce Pandolfini: It just makes my job harder.
- Bonnie: Then your job's harder.”