“The Shawshank Redemption” quotes(1994)
Plot – We are in 1946. Tried for the murder of his wife and her lover, Andy, a bank clerk from New England, is sentenced to a double life sentence and incarcerated in the prison of Shawshank. At the beginning, he is a victim of the prisoners’ violence, but then he becomes the guards’ financial advisor. It comes out that the director counterfeits the books of accounts, registering them in Randall Stevens’ names, a fictitious figure. Escaped from prison through a tunnel built over the years, Andy takes the identity of Randall Stevens, he denounces the director and he goes to Mexico. Behind bars, the usual collection of samples of humanity is displayed: sodomites out of necessity, guardians who are more delinquent than the prisoners, a greedy director and an old lifer, James Whitmore, who embodies the greatness of American cinema of the past.
All actors – Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, Bob Gunton, William Sadler, Clancy Brown, Gil Bellows, Mark Rolston, James Whitmore, Jeffrey DeMunn, Larry Brandenburg, Neil Giuntoli, Brian Libby, David Proval, Joseph Ragno, Jude Ciccolella, Paul McCrane, Renee Blaine, Scott Mann, John Horton, Gordon Greene, Alfonso Freeman, V.J. Foster, John E. Summers, Frank Medrano, Mack Miles, Alan R. Kessler, Morgan Lund, Cornell Wallace, Gary Lee Davis, Neil Summers, Ned Bellamy, Joe Pecoraro, Harold E. Cope Jr., Brian Delate, Don McManus, Donald Zinn, Dorothy Silver, Robert Haley, Dana Snyder, John D. Craig, Ken Magee, Eugene C. DePasquale, Bill Bolender, Ron Newell, John R. Woodward, Chuck Brauchler, Dion Anderson, Claire Slemmer, James Kisicki, Rohn Thomas, Charlie Kearns, Rob Reider, Brian Brophy, Paul Kennedy, James Babson, Dennis Baker, Fred Culbertson, Richard Doone, Rita Hayworth, Alonzo F. Jones, Michael Lightsey, Brad Spencershow all
“The Shawshank Redemption” Quotes 27 quotes
“Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.”
So I'm backing out the door, right, and I got the TV, like this; it was a big old thing, I couldn't see shit; suddenly I hear this voice, "Police, kid, hands in the air". You know, I was standing there, holdin' on to that TV, so finally the voice says, "you hear what I said, boy?". And I say, "yes sir, I sure did, but if I drop this fucking... (continue)(continue reading)
“Hope is a good thing - maybe the best thing, and no good thing ever dies.”
“Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free.”
“- Andy Dufresne: You know what the Mexicans say about the Pacific?
- Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding: No.
- Andy Dufresne: They say it has no memory. That's where I want to live the rest of my life. A warm place with no memory.”
“- Andy Dufresne: Here's where it makes the most sense. You need it so you don't forget.
- Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding: Forget?
- Andy Dufresne: Forget that... there are places in this world that aren't made out of stone. That there's something inside... that they can't get to, that they can't touch. That's yours.
- Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding: What're...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding: These walls are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them. That's institutionalized.
- Heywood: Shit. I could never get like that.
- Ernie: Oh yeah? Say that when you been here as long as Brooks has.
- Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding: Goddamn right. They send you...” (continue)(continue reading)
“The first night's the toughest, no doubt about it. They march you in naked as the day you were born, skin burning and half blind from that delousing shit they throw on you, and when they put you in that cell... and those bars slam home... that's when you know it's for real. A whole life blown away in the blink of an eye. Nothing left but all the...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I don't know; every man has his breaking point.”
“- Andy Dufresne: I have no enemieshere.
- Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding: Yeah? Wait a while. Word gets around. The Sisters have taken quite a likin' to you. Especially Boggs.
- Andy Dufresne: I don't suppose it would help if I told them that I'm not homosexual.
- Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding: Neither are they. You have to be human first. They don't...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I want him found. Not tomorrow, not after breakfast... now!”
“- 1967 Parole Hearings Man: Do you feel you've been rehabilitated?
- Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding: Rehabilitated? Well, now let me see. You know, I don't have any idea what that means.
- 1967 Parole Hearings Man: Well, it means that you're ready to rejoin society...
- Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding: I know what you think it means, sonny. To me, it's just...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone.”
- Heywood: The Count of Monte Crisco...
- Floyd: That's "Cristo" you dumb shit.
- Heywood: ...by Alexandree Dumb-ass. Dumb-ass.
- Andy Dufresne: Dumb-ass? "Dumas". You know what it's about? You'll like it, it's about a prisonbreak.
- Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding: We oughta file that under "Educational" too, oughten we?