Emily Watson quotes
“It's circular. You exist to continue your existence.”
“- Barry Egan: I'm lookin' at your face and I just wanna smash it. I just wanna fuckin' smash it with a sledgehammer and squeeze it. You're so pretty.
- Lena Leonard: I want to chew your face, and I want to scoop out your eyes and I want to eat them and chew them and suck on them.
- Barry Egan: OK. This is funny. This is nice.”
“- Elsie: How come you got taken on as a Countess Lady's maid if you've got no experience?
- Mary Maceachran: She wants to train me. She said she didn't care about experience.”
“- John Preston: What's the point of your existence?
- Mary O'Brien: To feel. 'Cause you've never done it, you can never know it. But it's as vital as breath. And without it, without love, without anger, without sorrow, breath is just a clock... ticking.”
“If there's anything I hate worse than pity, it's fake pity.”
“- Mr. Brittain: Vera, come back and apologise now. If you can't show me the respect I deserve, then at least show some for our guests.
- Vera Brittain: I don't want a piano. You knew I didn't want one and still you bought it. I won't be bullied by you.
- Mr. Brittain: Oh, I buy her the most expensive gift of her life, but no, I'm bullying.
-...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Angela McCourt: If I were able I would go to work in the English factories.
- Malachy: Factory's no place for a woman, Angela.
- Angela McCourt: Sittin' on your arse is no place for a man, Malachy.”
“If her own mother had a heart attack, she'd think it was less important than one of Lady Sylvia's farts.”
- Victoria Everglot: What if Victor and I don't like each other?
- Maudeline Everglot: As if that has anything to do with marriage. Do you suppose your father and I "like" each other?
- Victoria Everglot: Surely you must, a little.
- Maudeline Everglot: Of course not!
“I'll play the fucking triangle, I just want to make music again!”