“The Truman Show” quotes(1998)
Peter Weir directed this movie in 1998
Title The Truman Show
Director Peter Weir
Genre Drama, Sci-Fi, Comedy
Director Peter Weir
Genre Drama, Sci-Fi, Comedy
Plot – Life for Truman Burbank in Seaheaven seems to flow quietly. He works as an insurance agent, his wife is a nurse at the hospital and his neighbours greet him every morning with a friendly “Good morning!”. To tell the truth, Truman is feeling the weight of his routine and plans to take a trip to visit other countries and have new experiences. However, when the time comes to make this ideas real, something always stops him. One time the travel agent tells him that the seats are sold out, another he gets stuck in a traffic jam. All these repeated obstacles start to seem strange and inexplicable to Truman. When he finally decides to dig deep to understand this phenomena, he talks to his friend Marlon, who by mistake reveals the deception. Seahaven never existed, but is instead a giant television studio in Los Angeles where Truman, completely oblivious, has lived since birth, where everything happens mechanically and where all the people in his life are actors specifically hired for the show.
All actors – Jim Carrey, Laura Linney, Noah Emmerich, Natascha McElhone, Holland Taylor, Brian Delate, Blair Slater, Peter Krause, Heidi Schanz, Ron Taylor, Don Taylor, Ted Raymond, Judy Clayton, Fritz Dominique, Angel Schmiedt, Nastassja Schmiedt, Muriel Moore, Mal Jones, Judson Vaughn, Earl Hilliard Jr., David Andrew Nash, Jim Towers, Savannah Swafford, Antoni Corone, Mario Ernesto Sánchez, John Roselius, Kade Coates, Marcia DeBonis, Sam Kitchin, Sebastian Youngblood, Dave Corey, Mark Alan Gillott, Jay Saiter, Tony Todd, Marco Rubeo, Darryl Davis, Robert Davis, R.J. Murdock, Matthew McDonough, Larry McDowell, Joseph Lucus, Logan Kirksey, Ed Harris, Paul Giamatti, Adam Tomei, Harry Shearer, Una Damon, Philip Baker Hall, John Pleshette, Philip Glass, John Pramik, O-Lan Jones, Krista Lynn Landolfi, Joe Minjares, Al Foster, Zoaunne LeRoy, Millie Slavin, Terry Camilleri, Donna Hardy, Jeanette Miller, Joel McKinnon Miller, Tom Simmons, Susan Angelo, Carly Smiga, Yuji Okumoto, Kiyoko Yamaguchi, Saemi Nakamura, Courtney Pakiz, Jake Eberle, Melissa Fitzgerald, Marc Macaulay, Mickalean McCormick, Lorin Moore, Kevin D. Ross, Erica Taylorshow all
“The Truman Show” Quotes 17 quotes
“He could leave at any time. If it was more than just a vague ambition, if he was absolutely determined to discover the truth, there's no way we could prevent him. I think what distresses you, really, caller, is that ultimately Truman prefers his cell, as you call it.”
“- Marlon: The point is, I would gladly step in front of traffic for you Truman. And the last thing I would ever do to you...
- Christof: ... is lie to you.
- Marlon: ...is lie to you.”
“- Meryl Burbank: You let me out, Truman. You're not right in the head. You want to destroy yourself you do it on your own.
- Truman Burbank: I think I'd like a little company.”
“- Christof: I know you better than you know yourself.
- Truman Burbank: You never had a camera in my head!”
“We've become bored with watching actors give us phony emotions. We are tired of pyrotechnics and special effects. While the world he inhabits is, in some respects, counterfeit, there's nothing fake about Truman himself. No scripts, no cue cards. It isn't always Shakespeare, but it's genuine. It's a life.”
“- Mike Michaelson: The show has generated enormous revenues now equivalent to the gross national product of a small country.
- Christof: People forget it takes the population of an entire country to keep the show running.
- Mike Michaelson: Since the show is on 24 hours a day without commercial interruption, all those staggering revenues are...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Truman Burbank: Who are you?
- Christof: I am the creator, of a televisionshow that gives hope and joy and inspiration to millions.
- Truman Burbank: Then who am I?
- Christof: You're the star.”
“- Truman Burbank: Was nothing real?
- Christof: You were real. That's what made you so good to watch...”
“- Meryl Burbank: We have mortgage payments, Truman. We have car payments. What, we're going to just walk away from our financial obligations?
- Truman Burbank: It would be an adventure!
- Meryl Burbank: I thought we were gonna try for a baby. Isn't that enough of an adventure?”
“- Christof: In competition with five other unwanted pregnancies, the casting of a show determined by an airdate, Truman was the one who arrived on cue.
- Mike Michaelson: Incidentally, I believe Truman is the first child to have been legally adopted by a corporation?
- Christof: That's correct.”
“- Sylvia: What right do you have to take a baby and turn his life into some kind of mockery? Don't you ever feel guilty?
- Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place. Seahaven is the way the world should be.
- Sylvia: He's not a performer, he's a prisoner. Look at him, look...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Meryl Burbank: Why don't you let me fix you some of this Mococoa drink? All natural cocoa beans from the upper slopes of Mount Nicaragua. No artificial sweeteners.
- Truman Burbank: What the hell are you talking about? Who are you talking to?
- Meryl Burbank: I've tasted other cocoas. This is the best.”
“- Truman Burbank: It was Dad. I swear! Dressed like a homeless man. And you know what else was strange? A business man and a woman with a little dog came out of nowhere and forced him onto a bus.
- Truman's Mother: Well! It's about time they cleaned up the trash downtown before we become just like the rest of the country.”
“- Network Executive: Do you know that there's a rumor circulating that he's dead? You hear me? The media is having a feeding frenzy with this, all the phone lines are jammed, and every network has a pirated shot of Marlon making an ass of himself in front of the cameras!
- Network Executive: The sponsors are threatening to rip up their...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Mike Michaelson: Christof, let me ask you, why do you think that Truman has never come close to discovering the true nature of his world until now?
- Christof: We accept the reality of the world with which we're presented. It's as simple as that.”