Kirk Douglas quotes
“My kids never had the advantage I had. I was born poor.”
“You're as deceitful as your mother.”
“Compared to Thoreau, Saint Francis of Assisi was peanuts.”
“When you become a star, you don't change - everyone else does. ”
“You know, you have to have some inner philosophy to deal with adversity. ”
“Don’t throw effort after foolishness.”
“- Harrison: You have a long way to go yet, lad.
- Spur: He's not a lad, brother, he's man.”
- Jim Craig: “United in death” the minister said.
- Spur: Superstition.
- Jim Craig: It's a nice thought, Spur.
- Spur: It's a great comfort to widows and fools. There's more to life than death, Jim.
“If you want to know about a man you can find out an awful lot by looking at who he married.”
“- Antoninus: Are you afraid to die, Spartacus?
- Spartacus: No more than I was to be born.”
“- Spartacus: All men lose when they die and all men die. But a slave and a free man lose different things.
- Tigranes Levantus: They both lose life.
- Spartacus: When a free man dies, he loses the pleasure of life. A slave loses his pain. Death is the only freedom a slave knows. That's why he's not afraid of it. That's why we'll win.”
“- General Mireau: I can't understand these armchair officers, fellas trying to fight a war from behind a desk, waving papers at the enemy, worrying about whether a mouse is gonna run up their pants leg.
- Colonel Dax: I don't know, General. If I had the choice between mice and Mausers, I think I'd take the mice every time.”
“- General Broulard: It would be a pity to lose your promotion before you get it. A promotion you have so very carefully planned for.
- Colonel Dax: Sir, would you like me to suggest what you can do with that promotion?
- General Broulard: Colonel Dax! You will apologize at once or I shall have you placed under arrest!
- Colonel Dax: I...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Georgia: Jonathan, will you marry me?
- Jonathan: Not even a little bit.”
“- Jonathan: Look. Put five men dressed like cats on the screen, what do they look like?
- Fred: Like five men dressed like cats.”
“- Harry Doyle: You quit?
- Archie Long: Couldn't take it anymore. People treating me like dirt ever since I got out of jail. Sweeping out toilets, scraping crud off dishes, my girlfriend tryin' to kill me with sex - and I'm dressing like Bozo the Clown, just to fit in! I don't want to fit in anymore.
- Harry Doyle: That makes two of us.”
“Some of my best friends are actors.”
“- Harry Doyle: I ain't goin' to your funeral!
- Archie Long: You ain't invited!”