Kirk Douglas quotes
“My kids never had the advantage I had. I was born poor.”
“Don’t throw effort after foolishness.”
“If you want to know about a man you can find out an awful lot by looking at who he married.”
“You're as deceitful as your mother.”
“Compared to Thoreau, Saint Francis of Assisi was peanuts.”
“When you become a star, you don't change - everyone else does. ”
“You know, you have to have some inner philosophy to deal with adversity. ”
“The learning process continues until the day you die.”
“- Harrison: You have a long way to go yet, lad.
- Spur: He's not a lad, brother, he's man.”
- Jim Craig: “United in death” the minister said.
- Spur: Superstition.
- Jim Craig: It's a nice thought, Spur.
- Spur: It's a great comfort to widows and fools. There's more to life than death, Jim.
“- Antoninus: Are you afraid to die, Spartacus?
- Spartacus: No more than I was to be born.”
“- Spartacus: All men lose when they die and all men die. But a slave and a free man lose different things.
- Tigranes Levantus: They both lose life.
- Spartacus: When a free man dies, he loses the pleasure of life. A slave loses his pain. Death is the only freedom a slave knows. That's why he's not afraid of it. That's why we'll win.”
“- General Mireau: I can't understand these armchair officers, fellas trying to fight a war from behind a desk, waving papers at the enemy, worrying about whether a mouse is gonna run up their pants leg.
- Colonel Dax: I don't know, General. If I had the choice between mice and Mausers, I think I'd take the mice every time.”
“- General Broulard: It would be a pity to lose your promotion before you get it. A promotion you have so very carefully planned for.
- Colonel Dax: Sir, would you like me to suggest what you can do with that promotion?
- General Broulard: Colonel Dax! You will apologize at once or I shall have you placed under arrest!
- Colonel Dax: I...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Georgia: Jonathan, will you marry me?
- Jonathan: Not even a little bit.”
“- Jonathan: Look. Put five men dressed like cats on the screen, what do they look like?
- Fred: Like five men dressed like cats.”
“- Harry Doyle: You quit?
- Archie Long: Couldn't take it anymore. People treating me like dirt ever since I got out of jail. Sweeping out toilets, scraping crud off dishes, my girlfriend tryin' to kill me with sex - and I'm dressing like Bozo the Clown, just to fit in! I don't want to fit in anymore.
- Harry Doyle: That makes two of us.”
“Some of my best friends are actors.”