Ralph Fiennes quotes
- From the movie: Quiz Show
- From the movie: The English Patient
“Every night I cut out my heart. But in the morning it was full again.”
“Tell me this Moses, tell me this: why is it that every time you start something, I'm the one who ends up in trouble?”
“Second born, second place!”
“I will not be dictated to, I will not be threatened. I am the morning and evening star, I am Pharaoh!”
“- Rameses: Come on, Moses, admit it. You've always looked up to me.
- Moses: Yes, but it's not much of a view!”
“There's a saying. 'Sometimes all you need is a good cup of tea.' I learned that growing up in Bratislava. I've found that not only does tea cleanse the palate, but it offers a soothing balm when facing some hard home truths.”
“Bread has existed in some form for over 12,000 years, especially amongst the poor. Flour and water. What could be simpler? Even today, grain represents 65% of all agriculture. Fruits and vegetables only 6%. Ancient Greek peasants dipped their stale, measly bread in wine for breakfast. And how did Jesus teach us to pray if not to beg for our...” (continue)(continue reading)
“We are but a frightened nanosecond. Nature is timeless.”
“The s'more. The most offensive assault on the human palate ever contrived.”
“Robert Pretty-Would you like to fly, Mr. Brown?
Basil Brown-Oh, but I do. All over the cosmos, every time I look through my telescope.”
“Basil Brown-Oh, well, that’s a ship that’s been buried in the mound.
Robert Pretty-Why would anyone want to bury a ship?
Basil Brown-Well, I expect because that’s a grave.
Robert Pretty-Whose grave?
Basil Brown-Well, I’d expect this is a grave of a great man. A warrior. Or a king.”
“May Brown-You got something to show me? I think you have. I can see it in your eyes.
Basil Brown-I’m not saying anything.”
- From the movie: Official Secrets
“- Ben Emmerson: Why did you keep her in a state of distress for a year before you brought charges?
- Ken Macdonald: The services wanted to make an example of her. If we'd dropped the case any earlier, what kind of messages would that have sent?
- Ben Emmerson: Do me a favour, Ken. Go and fish somewhere else.”
- From the movie: Official Secrets
“Following orders is not a defense to a war crime.”
“- M. Gustave: The beginning of the end of the end of the beginning has begun. A sad finale played off-key on a broken-down saloon piano in the outskirts of a forgotten ghosttown. I'd rather not bear witness to such blasphemy.
- Zero: Me neither.
- M. Gustave: The Grand Budapest has become a troops' barracks. I shall never cross its threshold...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- M. Gustave: She was dynamite in the sack, by the way.
- Zero: ...She was 84, Monsieur Gustave.
- M. Gustave: Mmm, I've had older. When you're young, it's all filet steak, but as the years go by, you have to move on to the cheap cuts. Which is fine with me, because I like those. More flavorful, or so they say.”
- From the movie: Strange Days
“- Lenny Nero: Are we still friends?
- Mace: I don't know Lenny. You see, friendship is more than one person constantly doing favors for another.”
- From the movie: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
“Don't you turn your back on me, Harry Potter! I want you to look at me when I kill you! I want to see the light leave your eyes!”
- From the movie: The End of the Affair
“- Sarah: Love doesn't end just because we don't see each other.
- Maurice Bendrix: Doesn't it?
- Sarah: People go on loving God, don't they? All their lives. Without seeing him.
- Maurice Bendrix: That's not my kind of love.
- Sarah: Maybe there is no other kind.”