Jerry Lewis quotes
“It'll keep you alive for another 10 years if you get yourself a laugh once a day.”
“I think that the lesson that I learned came just in time. I don't want to be something that I'm not. I didn't like being someone else. At the same time I'm very glad I was cause I found out something that I never knew. You might as well like yourself. Just think about all the time you're going to have to spend with you. And if you don't think...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I have some very personal feelings about politics, but I don't get into it because I do comedy already.”
“Adrenaline is wonderful. It covers pain. It covers dementia. It covers everything.”
“- Buddy Love: I know what you're thinking: Where's he been all my life? Right?
- Stella Purdy: No, not exactly.
- Buddy Love: And that you're happy with the way I handled those three goons, right? Well, normally I would've belted them, but I didn't want to muss myself all up and have you dance with a sloppy guy. Dig?”
“- Jim Stone: [indicating bail statement for $200,000 cash] What do you think?
- Jim's Father: Well, I think there's a lot more to making a cop than just paper.
-Jim Stone: Yes, but I just thought it was unusual.
- Jim's Father: It is ... You know, a good cop is going to look at it and know exactly what to do.”
“Work never killed anyone, it's the pressure that's bumping people off. Regardless of who I'm talking with, if I become uncomfortable I walk away, spit twice, take a deep breath and count to sixty. It took two of the finest specialists in the world to teach me that.”
“Gambling is part of the human condition. I love it. I have the best time gambling. I've been winning fortunes, and I've been losing them. ”
“Critics have no brains. ”
“People hate me because I am a multifaceted, talented, wealthy, internationally famous genius. ”
“I get paid for what most kids get punished for. ”
“I've had great success being a total idiot. ”
“Comedy is a man in trouble. And without it, there's no humor.”
“- Rupert Pupkin: I'm gonna work 50 times harder, and I'm gonna be 50 times more famous than you.
- Jerry Langford: Then you're gonna have idiots like you plaguing your life!”
“- Rupert Pupkin: I'm sorry. I made a mistake.
- Jerry Langford: So did Hitler.”
“- Jerry Langford: This is a crazy business, but it's not unlike any other business. There are ground rules, and you don't just walk on to a network show without experience. Now I know it's an old, hackneyed expression, but it happens to be the truth. You've got to start at the bottom.
- Rupert Pupkin: I know. That's where I am, at the bottom.
-...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Woman in Telephone Booth: You're just wonderful. I've watched you your entire career. You're a joy to the world. Please... would you just please say something to my nephew Morris on the phone? He's in the hospital, and anything that...
- Jerry Langford: I'm sorry, I'm late.
- Woman in Telephone Booth: You should only get cancer! I hope you get...” (continue)(continue reading)