“A Time to Kill” quotes(1996)
Plot – In Mississippi two drunk fools rape the ten-year-old daughter of Carl, a black worker. The man is unable to control himself and takes alone his personal justice, then he's imprisoned. Jake is his young lawyer full of ideals, who must face a social situation dominated by preconceptions, silence and complicity. After much hesitation, Jake accepts the help of Ellen, an energetic and enterprising law student who throws herself headlong in the events, but suffers the vengeance of some members of the local Ku Klux Klan.
All actors – Matthew McConaughey, Sandra Bullock, Samuel L. Jackson, Kevin Spacey, Oliver Platt, Charles S. Dutton, Brenda Fricker, Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, Patrick McGoohan, Ashley Judd, Tonea Stewartshow all
“A Time to Kill” Quotes 26 quotes
“I got a little girl. Somebody rapes her, he's a dead dog. I'll blow him away just like Carl Lee did.”
“What is it in us that seeks the truth? Is it our minds or is it our hearts?”
“- Ethel Twitty: Will you help an old lady to her car?
- Lucien Wilbanks: You don't need any help, Ethel. But I'd be honored to escort you to your automobile.”
“Nigger, negro, black, African-american, no matter how you see me, you see me different, you see me like that jury sees me, you are them. Now throw out your points of law, Jake. If you was on that jury, what would it take to convince you to set me free? That's how you save my ass. That's how you save us both.”
“Our society cannot condone men who take the law into their own hands.”
“- D.A. Rufus Buckley: Do you think two men who hang a child should be free in 10 years?
- Carl Lee Hailey: No sir.
- D.A. Rufus Buckley: Well what do you think should happen? What would be a fair sentence?”
“Got to love the Lord for making things like that.”
“I think about them too boys. Dead, buried, probably starting to rot. And I remember them walking into court... one proud, the other scared. I remember how they fell. One on top of the other, screaming and squirming and not going nowhere. God help me Gwen, but that's the only thought that give me comfort.”
“There ain't nothin' more dangerous in this world than a fool with a cause.”
“- Jake Tyler Brigance: We're not the same, Carl Lee. The jury has to identify with the defendant. They see you, they see a yardworker; they see me, they see an attorney. I live in town, you live in the hill.
- Carl Lee Hailey: Well, you are white and I'm black. See Jake, you think just like them, that's why I picked you; you are one of them,...” (continue)(continue reading)
“It ain't easy saving the world, even one case at a time.”
“- Jake Tyler Brigance: I can't be you, Lucian.
- Lucien Wilbanks: Don't be me, Jake. Be better than me.”
“If you win this case, justice will prevail. And if you lose, justice will also prevail. Now, that is a strange case.”
“- Jake Tyler Brigance: Carl Lee, I'm your friend.
- Carl Lee Hailey: We ain't no friends, Jake. We are on different sides of the line, I ain't never seen you in my part of town. I bet you don't even know where I live. Our daughters, Jake; they ain't never gonna play together.”
“Until we can see each other as equals, justice is never going to be even-handed. It will remain nothing more than a reflection of our own prejudices.”
“- Ellen Roark: Ever seen a man executed?
- Jake Tyler Brigance: No.
- Ellen Roark: What I suggest is you go to an execution, and see a man be killed. You watch him die, and you watch him beg.”
“- Harry Rex Vonner: Lucien, I thought you were dead.
- Lucien Wilbanks: I'm trying.”