Society quotes128 society quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
How are you to imagine anything if the images are always provided for you? Doublethink. To deliberately believe in lies, while knowing they're false. Examples of this in everyday life: "Oh, I need to be pretty to be happy. I need surgery to be pretty. I need to be thin, famous, fashionable." Our young men today are being told that women are... (continue)(continue reading)
“There is little chance for a person to exercise the imagination today in this complex, programmed society we have.”
“The society must be better than the individual.”
- Charlie Bucket: You can eat the grass?
- Willy Wonka: Of course you can! Everything in this room is eatable, even I'm eatable! But that is called "cannibalism", my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies.
“I belonged to a new underclass, no longer determined by social status or the color of your skin. No, we now have discrimination down to a science.”
- Connie Baker: "Now everyone can be Van Gogh. It's so easy. Just follow the simple instructions and in minutes, you're on your way to being an artist".
- Katherine Ann Watson: Ironic, isn't it? Look at what we have done to the man who refused to conform his ideals to popular taste. Who refused to compromise his integrity. We have put him in a... (continue)(continue reading)
“Obscenity? The rich is getting richer and richer and richer while the middle class is getting more poor / Making billions and billions and billions of bucks / well, my friend, if you weren't already rich at the start, well, that situation just sucks / 'cause the riches motherfuckers in five of us is getting ninety-fucking-eight percent of it /...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Cinema will always have an important role to play in society.”
“Have you seen what it's like out there, Murray? Do you ever actually leave the studio? Everybody just yells and screams at each other. Nobody's civil anymore. Nobody thinks what it's like to be the other guy. You think men like Thomas Wayne ever think what it's like to be someone like me? To be somebody but themselves? They don't. They think...” (continue)(continue reading)
“You know what is happening in our country? Nothing... simply an imperceptible replacement of one class for another. The middle class doesn't want to destroy us. It simply wants to take our place... and very gently.”
“- Katherine Valentine: How can a society so advanced, so scientific, be so stupid?
- Tom Natsworthy: Well, no more stupid than people today.”
“- Walter Shit: I wanted to express how cold, how pitiless this city really is.
- Joe: Nobody touched you for two days?
- Walter Shit: Spitting doesn't count.”
“Marriage is an institution. It's the bedrock of society.”
“We're on the same side, Tris. I'm Factionless because I don't fit into any one faction. And you're Divergent because you belong to too many. But we're both a threat to Jeanine. My people are ready for war, if that's what it takes.”
“Better the blind man who pisses out the window than the joker who told him it was a urinal. Know who the joker is? It's everybody.”
“This harmony we achieved is now under attack from a small but extremely dangerous group of individuals. We call them Divergents. They are, in essence, the worst of what humanity used to be. Rebellious, defiant, and uncontrollable.”
“- Pere Mathieu - Cafe Owner: Madame, if you don't think about food, what do you think about?
- Nina Ivanovna Yakushova aka Ninotchka: The future of the common people.
- Pere Mathieu - Cafe Owner: That's also a question of food.”
“When you teach a man to hate and fear his brother, when you teach that he is a lesser man because of his color or his beliefs or the policies he pursues, when you teach that those who differ from you threaten your freedom or your job or your family, then you also learn to confront others not as fellow citizens but as enemies, to be met not with...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Duke: The lights are growing dim Otto. I know a life of crime has led me to this sorry fate, and yet, I blame society. Society made me what I am.
- Otto: That's bullshit. You're a white suburban punk just like me.
- Duke: Yeah, but it still hurts.”
“I service society by rocking, ok? I'm out there on the front lines liberating people with my music!”
“The man failed to salute. There's hierarchies even in nature. There is no disdain in nature.”