“Postcards from the Edge” quotes(1990)
Mike Nichols directed this movie in 1990
Title Postcards from the Edge
Director Mike Nichols
Genre Drama, Comedy
Director Mike Nichols
Genre Drama, Comedy
Plot – Suzanne Vale takes drugs while acting on a Hollywood movie set and risks an overdose. She's saved by a gastric lavage and has to detoxify in a clinic. She's entrusted to her mother Doris Mann, a famous '50s musical comedy star, to resume her job. Doris lives in a villa and to celebrate her daughter's return she gives a big party, during which Suzanne meets her authoritarian grandmother and grandfather. Doris, with her strong personality, has always crushed her daughter who now is forced to listen to her constant criticisms and advices. Even the producers are dissatisfied by Suzanne who then gives up herself to the young and attractive producer Jack Falkner, a sex maniac who swears to love her seriously. However Suzanne will soon discover that the man has another relationship.
All actors – Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine, Dennis Quaid, Gene Hackman, Richard Dreyfuss, Rob Reiner, Mary Wickes, Conrad Bain, Annette Bening, Simon Callow, Gary Morton, CCH Pounder, Sidney Armus, Robin Bartlett, Barbara Garrick, Anthony Heald, Dana Ivey, Oliver Platt, Michael Ontkean, Pepe Serna, Mark Lowenthal, Michael Byers, JD Souther, George Wallace, Peter Onorati, J. Roy Helland, Douglas Roberts, Michael Haley, Kathleen Gray, Gloria Crayton, Gary Matanky, Marcelo Tubert, John Verea, René Assa, Natalija Nogulich, Susan Forristal, Evelina Fernández, Neil A. Machlis, Gary Jones, Jane Galloway, Steven Brill, Jason Tomlins, Shelley Kirk, Jessica Z. Diamond, Scott Frankel, Sheridan Leatherbury, Ken Gutstein, James Deeth, Robert Marshall, Jim Cuddy, Greg Keelor, Bazil Donovan, Mark French, Bob Wiseman, Carrie Jachnuk, Beau Lotterman, Raymond Stortishow all
“Postcards from the Edge” Quotes 28 quotes
“I don't want life to imitate art, I want life to be art.”
“- Doris Mann: Are you less mad at me now?
- Suzanne Vale: I am always less mad at you, mom.”
- Suzanne Vale: You don't know my mother.
- Lowell Kolchek: I don't know your mother, but I'll tell you something. She did it to you and her mother did it to her and back and back and back all the way to eve and at some point you just say, "fuck it, I start with me".
“- Jack Faulkner: What is it that especially bothers you, that it was on the same day or that it was Evelyn Ames?
- Suzanne Vale: It's not the fact that you fuck around a lot, it's that you lie about it. You could have just told me the truth and then fucked them all.”
“Thank god I got sober now so I can be hyper-conscious for this series of humiliations.”
“I suppose having to do without drugs, she has to do something. Do you think we could get her to start smoking?”
“- Suzanne Vale: You said you loved me.
- Jack Faulkner: I meant it at the time.
- Suzanne Vale: Well what was it, a viral love? Kind of a 24 hour thing?”
“- Jack Faulkner: Are we breaking up?
- Suzanne Vale: We can't break up, we were never together.
- Jack Faulkner: Oh, that should come as news to you, you're acting like a wife.”
“You know what they say. No pain, no gain.”
“- Doris Mann: I was such an awful mother... what if you had a mother like Joan Crawford or Lana Turner?
- Suzanne Vale: These are the options? You, Joan or Lana?”
“- Doris Mann: I have some news.
- Suzanne Vale: What? You had a dream I lost some weight? Endorsed a line of clothing?
- Doris Mann: Don't be fresh, dear.”
“I know you don't believe in my dreams, even the one that predicted your kidney stone.”
- Doris Mann: You feel sorry half the time for having a monster of a mother like me. Everything about you says "look what you've done to me".
- Suzanne Vale: I never said you were a monster!
- Doris Mann: You don't say it, but you feel it. Somehow, you lay the entire blame for your drug-taking on me.
“Instantgratification takes too long.”
“- Suzanne Vale: I'm going to kill myself.
- Doris Mann: Don't say that, dear, even in jest. You just got out of drug clinic. People might take it the wrong way.”
“- Doris Mann: You said you have a ranch?
- Jack Faulkner: Yeah, out in Malibu.
- Doris Mann: If all ranchers looked like you, there wouldn't be many crops.”
- Evelyn Ames: You look like someone who can take care of herself. Buy some condoms. Don't feel bad. He probably really likes you. If you can just... enjoy yourself with him like he's enjoying himself with you. That's what I do. I'm in it for the "endolphin" rush.
- Suzanne Vale: Endorphin.
- Evelyn Ames: Whatever.
“Women are always saying it's not the fact that you left, it's the way that you did it. It's not that you fuck around, it's that you lie about it. You're all so full of shit.”
“- Doris Mann: What is wrong with your hair?
- Suzanne Vale: I don't know; it's all the rage in the rehab.”
“- Lowell Kolchek: You're not going to get a lot of sympathy. Do you know how many people would give their right arm to live your life?
- Suzanne Vale: That's the problem. I can't feel my life. I look around me and I know so much of it is good.”