Plot – The film tells the sequence of events lived by Dante Hicks, a grocery clerk of the suburbs, who is forced to go to work on his day off. It is the story of a day. Dante faces a number of troubles that only seem to get worse. The dialogues are twisted and surreal, the sketch are funny and grotesque - memorable gags are the one including controversy over the subcontractors’ political position, who were making the second Death Star of Star Wars and that of the old man who asks to use the bathroom. Along with Dante there is Randal, the guy who works at the video store next to the grocery shop, who is permanently on a break.
All actors – Brian O'Halloran, Jeff Anderson, Marilyn Ghigliotti, Lisa Spoonauer, Jason Mewes, Kevin Smith, Scott Mosier, Scott Schiaffo, Al Berkowitz, Walter Flanagan, Ed Hapstak, Lee Bendick, David Klein, Pattijean Csik, Ken Clark, Donna Jeanne, Virginia Smith, Betsy Broussard, Ernest O'Donnell, Kimberly Loughran, Gary Stern, Joe Bagnole, John Henry Westhead, Chuck Bickel, Leslie Hope, Connie O'Connor, Vincent Pereira, Ashley Pereira, Erix Infante, Melissa Crawford, Thomas Burke, Dan Hapstak, Mitch Cohen, Matthew Banta, Rajiv Thapar, Mike Belicose, Jane Kuritz, Grace Smith, Frances Cresci, Matt Crawford, Sarla Thapar, Brian Drinkwater, Bob Fisler, Derek Jaccodine, Matthew Pereira, Frank Pereira, Carl Roth, Paul Finn, Haiku, Lenin's Tombshow all
“Clerks” Quotes 28 quotes
“There's a million fine looking women in the world, dude. But they don't all bring you lasagna at work. Most of 'em just cheat on you.”
“- Dante Hicks: I'm stuck in this pit, working for less than slavewages. Working on my day off, the goddamn steel shutters are closed, I deal with every backward ass fuck on the planet. I smell like shoe polish. My ex-girlfriend is catatonic after fucking a dead guy. And my present girlfriend has sucked 36 dicks.
- Randal Graves: 37.”
“- Dante Hicks: You hate people!
- Randal Graves: But I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?”
“You like to think the weight of the world rests on your shoulders. Like this place would fall apart if Dante wasn't here. Jesus, you overcompensate for having what's basically a monkey's job. You push fucking buttons. Anybody can waltz in here and do our jobs. You... You're so obsessed with making it seem so much more epic, so much more...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Dante Hicks: How many dicks have you sucked?
- Veronica Loughran: Let it go!
- Dante Hicks: How many?
- Veronica Loughran: All right, shut up a second and I'll tell you! Jesus! I didn't freak out like this when you told me how many girls you fucked!
- Dante Hicks: This is different, this is important. How many?”
“- Dante Hicks: You said you only had sex with three different guys; you never mentioned him!
- Veronica Loughran: Because I never had sex with him.
- Dante Hicks: You sucked his dick!
- Veronica Loughran: We went out a few times. We never had sex but we fooled around.”
“- Randal Graves: Title does not dictate behavior.
- Dante Hicks: What?
- Randal Graves: If title dictated my behavior, as a clerk serving the public, I wouldn't be allowed to spit water at that guy. But I did. So, my point is that people dictate their own behavior. Even though I work in a video store, I choose to go rent movies at Big Choice....” (continue)(continue reading)
“This job would be great if it wasn't for the fucking customers.”
“Melodrama coming from you seems about as natural as an oral bowel movement.”
“- Dante Hicks: 37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!
- Customer with Diapers: In a row?”
“- Dante Hicks: Oh my god, why did you tell me you only had sex with three different guys?
- Veronica Loughran: Because I did only have sex with three different guys; that doesn't mean I didn't just go with people.”
- Blue Collar Man: Excuse me, I don't mean to interrupt, but, uh, what are you talking about?
- Randal Graves: The ending of "Return of the Jedi".
- Dante Hicks: My friend here's trying to convince me that any independent contractors who were working on the uncompleted Death Star were innocent victims when it was destroyed by the Rebels.
“- Dante Hicks: You know what the real tragedy about all this is? I'm not even supposed to be here today!
- Randal Graves: Oh, fuck you! Fuck you, pal! Jesus, there you go again trying to pass the buck. I'm the source of all your misery. Who closed the store to play hockey? Who closed the store to go to a wake? Who tried to win back his ex...” (continue)(continue reading)
- Randal Graves: Which did you like better? "Jedi" or "The Empire Strikes Back"?
- Dante Hicks: "Empire".
- Randal Graves: Blasphemy.
“It's important to have a job that makes a difference, boys. That's why I manually masturbate caged animals for artificial insemination.”
“- Randal Graves: Embolism in a pool.
- Dante Hicks: What an embarrassing way to die.”
“- Coroner: My question is, how did she come to have sex with a dead man?
- Dante Hicks: She thought it was me.
- Coroner: What kind of convenience store do you run here?”
“A little word of advice, my friend. Sometimes you gotta let those hard-to-reach chips go.”