“Ride with the Devil” quotes(1999)
Plot – Southern States Confederation were founded in 1861, the same year the American Civil War blew up. Federal soldiers fight the Confederate ones and some Confederate sympathizers head to the border between Kansas and Missouri. Jake, the son of a German immigrant, and Jack, the son of a plantation owner, move together to organize raids and attacks. A year later, they are joined by Black, Pitt, Sally, George and his faithful slave, Daniel, and they act separately from the regular Confederate army. At Lawrence the caravan burns and devastates the entire city and after a battle with Federal soldiers George dies and Daniel is injured. Their lonely struggle now seems increasingly difficult. In a peasant's house, Jake and Sully get married. When Daniel heals, he's now a free man and goes on his own way.
All actors – Tobey Maguire, Jeremy W. Auman, Scott Sener, Skeet Ulrich, Glenn Q. Pierce, Kathleen Warfel, David Darlow, Zan McLeod, John Whelan, Roger Landes, Jeffrey Dover, Tyler Johnson, Kelly Werts, Michael W. Nash, John Judd, Don Shanks, Jay Thorson, Dean Vivian, Cheryl Weaver, Jim Caviezel, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Simon Baker, Matthew Faber, Tom Guiry, Jonathan Brandis, Jeffrey Wright, Celia Weston, Amber Griffith, Ric Averill, Buck Baker, Mark Ruffalo, Stephen Mailer, Zach Grenier, Donna Thomason, Cassie Mae Sears, Jewel Kilcher, Margo Martindale, Tom Wilkinson, Martin Liebschner Jr., Marvin Schroeder, Steven Price, David L. Asher, James Urbaniak, David Rees Snell, John Ales, Dave Wilson, Larry Greer, Kevin Fewell, Michael Owen, John Durbin, Jim Shelby, Addison Myers, Michael Linsley Rapport, Joseph Patrick Moynihan, Jennie Nauman, Christine Brandt, Bill Grivna, Nora Denney, Harry Gibbs, Clayton Vest, Roger Denesha, Jacob Kozlowski, David Lee Burnos Jr., Jennifer Ackland, T. Max Graham, Jill Barber, Jim Bentley, Michael Bush, Marc Davies, Michael Shane Davis, Cameron DeVictor, Nancy Frye, Mat Hostetler, Patric Johnstone, Charlotte Kyle, Allen Lowman, Paul Meier, Michael Owen, Race Owen, Dusty Shaffershow all
“Ride with the Devil” Quotes 24 quotes
“Woman, I have killed fifteen men.”
“- George Clyde: Rodel, you want my bacon?
- Jake: Yes, I could eat it.
- George Clyde: Well, I'll shit it out by the oak tree in the morning, you just go and help yourself.”
“There happens to be a war going on everywhere but between your two ears, you dumb ox.”
“- Jake: One mother's very much like another.
- Pitt Mackeson: Remember one thing, her boys will kill you if they can.”
“- Jake: It makes me notable by the loss.
- Jack Bull: You sound pleased... as if that finger'd been pesterin' you for rings.
- Jake: No. It was a fine finger and I'd rather have it still, but... it was took from me and it's been eaten by chickens for sure. And I say, what is the good side to this amputation? And there is one.”
“- Sue Lee Shelly: You always gonna stare like that?
- Jake: Long as I can.”
“- Sue Lee Shelley: Do you wanna marry me?
- Jake: No, not too bad.
- Sue Lee Shelley: Good. That's good news, 'cause I wouldn't marry you for a wagonload full of gold.”
“- Sue Lee Shelly: I wouldn't lie to you, Jake.
- Jake: You just told me you lied to me before...
- Sue Lee Shelly: Well, that's different. That was romance.
- Jake: Now is what?
- Sue Lee Shelly: The truth. This here now is the truth.”
“Don't think you are a good man. The thought will spoil you.”
“- Jake: A wedding is a peculiar thing.
- Jack Bull Chiles: No more peculiar, Jake, than slavery.”
- Jake: People would say, "Who was that?". Then surely someone would look up and say, "It's nubbin fingered Jake Roedel". Then you could go and tell my father that I was clearly murdered and he wouldn't be tortured by uncertain wonders.
- Jack Bull Chiles: And that's the good of it?
- Jake: Yes sir, that's the good.
“- Pitt Mackeson: I am going in there. I'm for certain sure going in there. I want a drink, and they have drinks in Newport.
- Jake: They'll kill you, you best stay clear out of there.
- Pitt Mackeson: I don't think so, Dutchie. I don't reckon I'll clear out of where I was born. You see that there was my hometown, and I reckon I'll go on in and...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I believe that man would marry stone to stone if there was a chicken at the end.”
“You're supposed to sleep with the wife, Roedel. Great day, in the mornin' you got to know that much! You're supposed to share her bed. That way, if some other man do that, you shoot him.”
“- Mr. Evans: Before they built their church, even, they built that schoolhouse. And they let in every tailor's son... and every farmer's daughter in that country.
- Jack Bull Chiles: Spellin' won't help you hold a plow any firmer. Or a gun either.”
“- Southern Gentleman: That's Pitt Mackeson, ain't it? I hear he'd soon kill a man as mash a tick.
- Jake: My, what a scary fellow he is.”
“On the western frontier of Missouri, the American Civil War was fought not by armies, but by neighbors. Informal gangs of local southern Bushwhackers fought a bloody and desperate guerrilla war against the occupying Union Army and pro-Union Jayhawkers. Allegiance to either side was dangerous. But it was more dangerous still to find oneself...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Evans: There ya are, Dutchy, you're 21 again.
- Jake: I'm just now 19, Nort.
- Evans: Is that so.”
“They rounded every pup up into that schoolhouse because they fancied that everyone should think and talk the same free-thinkin' way they do with no regard to station, custom, propriety. And that is why they will win. Because they believe everyone should live and think just like them. And we shall lose because we don't care one way or another how...” (continue)(continue reading)