Sir Sidney Poitier quotes
“Living consciously involves being genuine; it involves listening and responding to others honestly and openly; it involves being in the moment.”
“I do know that I'm responsible not for what happens, but for what I make of it.”
“We're all imperfect, and life is simply a perpetual, unending struggle against those imperfections.”
“You don't have to become something you're not to be better than you were.”
“I owe you nothing! If you carried that bag a million miles, you did what you were supposed to do because you brought me into this world, and from that day you owed me everything you could ever do for me, like I will owe my son if I ever have another.”
“- Jonathan Knox: I've never seen a grizzly just turn and run like that.
- Warren Stantin: Everybody else up here acts like they've never seen a black man before. Why should the bear be different?”
“There isn't a government on this planet that wouldn't kill us all for that thing.”
“Every new fashion is a form of rebellion.”
Acting isn't a game of "pretend." It's an exercise in being real.
“So much of life, it seems to me, is determined by pure randomness.”
“When you walk with someone, something unspoken happens. Either you match their pace or they match yours.”
“To a considerable extent, we control how we are perceived.”
“- Roy Parmenter: How'd a pretty girl like you get mixed up in guidance counseling?
- Verna McLaughlin: How'd a nice guy like you get mixed up in the FBl?
- Roy Parmenter: You ever guided any students towards the Bureau, Verna?
- Verna McLaughlin: l hope not.
- Roy Parmenter: How about me guiding you towards dinner?”
“- Warren Stantin: Do you mountainmen do this kind of shit a lot?
- Jonathan Knox: Every damn day!”
“I'm going back to Russia where I will stay until Terek Murad rots in prison or in the grave.”
“- Preston: I wonder if we'll ever know who the hell he was.
- Declan Mulqueen: We know all we need to. He was evil, he is dead. And he's gone. Nothing more matters.”
- Preston: Major Koslova ends the debate about women in combat as far as I'm concerned.
- Declan Mulqueen: How's that?
- Preston: She saved my life and took out Terek's brother. She did it knowing she'd be drawing a death sentence down on her neck. But when we offered to set her up some place else when this is over, you know what she said? "The... (continue)(continue reading)
“Who are you? Do you see you the way you want to be seen? Then you must see character in yourself, discipline in yourself, determination in yourself - to survive - with dignity, no matter how tough the world around you is. Is that who you are? If not, is that who you want to be?”
“- Jonathan Knox: Tell me something; What would you miss, beside telephones?
- Warren Stantin: Everything!”
“After all, a lot of people are going to think we are a shocking pair.”
“We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection.”
“- Konstantin Karpov: I would never give up a man who killed my partner.
- Roy Parmenter: You never had a partner!”