“Rob Roy” quotes(1995)
Plot – In 1713 in Scotland, clan leader Robert Roy McGregor is forced to kill long time raiding companion Tam in order to retrieve the herds of cattle stolen on behalf of the British Marquis of Montrose. To releave the painful conditions of his people, he asks for and obtains a £1,000 loan from the Marquis to buy a herd to resell at a profit. The Marquis' overseer, Killearn, plots together with Archibald Cunningham, a swordsman working for the noble: the plan is to steal the £1,000 loan delivered to Alan McDonald, a friend of McGregor, who is killed by Cunningham and then thrown into the sea. McGregor, who is held responsible for the debt, goes to the Marquis who offers to forgive the debt in exchange for testimony against the Duke of Argyll, believed to be a Jacobite.
All actors – Liam Neeson, Jessica Lange, John Hurt, Tim Roth, Eric Stoltz, Andrew Keir, Brian Cox, Brian McCardie, Gilbert Martin, Vicki Masson, Gilly Gilchrist, Jason Flemyng, Ewan Stewart, David Hayman, Brian McArthur, David Brooks Palmer, Myra McFadyen, Karen Matheson, Shirley Henderson, John Murtagh, William Gardiner, Valentine Nwanze, Richard Bonehill, Peter MacArthurshow all
“Rob Roy” Quotes 27 quotes
“- Montrose: Great men, such as yourself, draw rumors as shite draws flies.
- Duke of Argyll: You are the shite, Montrose, and the flies upon it!”
“Do not think that all sins go unpaid in this life, Montrose.”
“- Son: Do women have it?
- Robert Roy MacGregor: Women are the heart of honor, and we cherish and protect it in them. You must never mistreat a woman, or malign a man, nor stand by and see another do so.”
“All men with honor are kings. But not all kings have honor.”
“- Referee: You are here on a matter of honor. I am here to see that you settle it honorably. There will be no back-stabbing, you will not throw your blades, nor will you use weapons other than those agreed. If quarter should be asked...
- Robert Roy MacGregor: No quarter will be asked.
- Archibald Cunningham: Or given.”
"Honor is the gift a man gives himself". You told our boys that. Would you have stolen from yourself that which makes you Robert Roy MacGregor?
“Love is a dung hill, Betty, and I am but a cock that climbs upon it to crow.”
“To these men, the truth is but a lie undiscovered.”
“- Son: What is honor?
- Robert Roy MacGregor: Honor is what no man can give you and none can take away. Honor is a man's gift to himself.”
“- Archibald Cunningham: Think of yourself a scabbard, Mistress McGregor, and I the sword. And a fine fit you were, too.
- Mary: I will think on you dead, until my husband makes you so. And then I will think on you no more.”
“I do not serve Robert McGregor. I am his friend, and count myself fortunate to claim it.”
“- Robert Roy MacGregor: Did you boys know there's going to be a new addition to the family?
- Duncan MacGregor: Is it inside you?
- Mary MacGregor: Yes.
- Duncan MacGregor: How does it get out?
- Robert Roy MacGregor: Same road it got in.”
“One must never underestimate the healing power of hatred.”
“I love the bones of you, Robert McGregor, but you take too much to heart that cannot be helped.”
“- Duke of Argyll: Tell me, MacGregor, is this matter of honor concerning your wife?
- Robert Roy MacGregor: It's concerning me, Your Grace. Mr. Cunningham and I have matters outstanding.
- Duke of Argyll: She will not thank you for making her a widow, honor or no.”
“- Montrose: You honor me, sir, to serve me with your own hand.
- Duke of Argyll: I tell you, James, I forget how much you dislike me until I'm in your presence.”
“At the dawn of the 1700's, famine, disease and the greed of great Noblemen were changing Scotland forever. With many emigrating to the Americas, the centuries-old Clan system was slowly being extinguished. This story symbolises the attempt of the individual to withstand these processes and, even in defeat, retain respect and honour.”
“If it's a boy, call him Robert. If a lass, name her after my love, Mary McGregor.”
“- Archibald Cunningham: It is years, Your Grace, since I buggered a boy... And in my own defense, I must add, I thought him a girl at the moment of entry.
- Duke of Argyll: Do you hear that, Will? Young Cunningham here was unable to tell arse from quim. What say you to that?
- Will Guthrie: I've heard that many Englishmen have that same difficulty.”
“- Robert Roy MacGregor: What passes for honor with me is likely the same as what passes with Your Lordship. When my word is given, it is good.
- Montrose: Well, you are to be congratulated on such cheaply-bought nobility.”
“- Robert Roy MacGregor: You're a thief, a murderer and a violator of women.
- Archibald Cunningham: Ah... I had hoped you'd come to me long since on that score.
- Robert Roy MacGregor: If I had known earlier you would have been dead sooner.”