Sir John Hurt quotes
“How much of human life is lost in waiting?”
“I never had any ambition to be a star, or whatever it is called, and I'm still embarrassed at the word.”
“Pretending to be other people is my game and that to me is the essence of the whole business of acting.”
“When you fall in love, it is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake, and then it subsides. And when it subsides, you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots are become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part.”
“I was completely crazy and mad when I was young. I was absolutely in love with the dissolute.”
“I am not an elephant! I am not an animal! I am a human being! I am a man!”
“When Jean-Baptiste did finally learn to speak he soon found that everyday language proved inadequate for all the olfactory experiences accumulating within himself.”
“- Brett: So what?
- Kane: We are obligated under section eight...
- Parker: I hate to bring this up but, this a commercial ship, not a rescue ship...
- Brett: Right.
- Parker: ...and it's not in my contract to do this kind of duty. Now what about the money? If you wanna give me some money to do it, I'll be happy to, you know, oblige.”
“- Parker: Still with us, Brett?
- Brett: Right.
- Kane: I feel dead.
- Parker: Anybody ever tell you you look dead, man?”
“He still had enough perfume left to enslave the whole world if he so chose. [...] He possessed a power stronger than the power of money, or terror, or death - the invincible power to command the love of mankind. There was only one thing the perfume could not do. It could not turn him into a person who could love and be loved like everyone else.”
“- Jackie Kennedy: I wrote him a letter. That night, before we moved the casket to the Capitol. Do you know what I wrote? That I wanted to die. I wanted to die.
- The Priest: I understand.
- Jackie Kennedy: Do you?
- The Priest: I do. Unless you are askingpermission.
- Jackie Kennedy: No, only crass, self-indulgent people kill themselves. No, I...” (continue)(continue reading)
“There no one else for them take up with except a fat innkeeper who only remembers his name because people shout it at him all day.”
“All of us are freaks in one way or another.”
“Oh, no. Not again.”
“- The Priest: I have lived a blessed life. And yet every night, when I climb into bed, turn off the lights, and stare in to the dark, I wonder... Is this all there is?
- Jackie Kennedy: You wonder?
- The Priest: Every soul on this planet does. But then, when morning comes, we all wake up and make a pot of coffee.
- Jackie Kennedy: Why do we...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Montrose: Great men, such as yourself, draw rumors as shite draws flies.
- Duke of Argyll: You are the shite, Montrose, and the flies upon it!”
Jesus once passed a blind beggar on the road, and his disciples asked: "Who sinned, this man or his parents, that he should be born blind?". And Jesus said: "Neither this man nor his parents sinned. He was made blind so that the works of God could be revealed in him". And with that, he placed mud on his eyes and told him to wash in the Pool of... (continue)(continue reading)
“- The Priest: God is love, and God is everywhere.
- Jackie Kennedy: Was he in the bullet that killed Jack?
- The Priest: Absolutely.
- Jackie Kennedy: Is he inside me now?
- The Priest: Yes, of course. Of course he is.
- Jackie Kennedy: Well, that's a funny game he plays, hiding all the time.”
“- Jackie Kennedy: I think God is cruel.
- The Priest: Well, now you're getting into trouble.”
“- The Monster: What am I that you must destroy me?
- Buchanan: An abomination, in the eyes of God.
- The Monster: Then what are you?
- Buchanan: I am... Frankenstein!”
“- Hazel: Go... now... or we'll kill you!
- Capt. Holly: It's you who'll be killed!”