“The Year of Living Dangerously” quotes(1982)
Plot – Guy Hamilton, a young Australian journalist, is sent on a mission in Indonesia, where the current government is staggering. Guy is a courageous journalist and runs many risks in order to know the Indonesian sociopolitical reality.
All actors – Mel Gibson, Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hunt, Michael Murphy, Bill Kerr, Noel Ferrier, Bembol Roco, Paul Sonkkila, Ali Nur, Dominador Robridillo, Joel Agona, Mike Emperioshow all
“The Year of Living Dangerously” Quotes 32 quotes
“Bryant, Jillian Edith. Nationality: British. Born: 1938, under the sign of Pisces. Occupation: Assistant to military attaché... British Embassy, Jakarta. Former postings: Brussels, Singapore. Little religious feeling, yet has a reverence for life. This is a spirit like a wavering flame which only needs care to burn high. If this does not happen,...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Pete Curtis: That's bullshit!
- Wally O'Sullivan: The worrying thing is, it's well-written bullshit, and it's right here in my paper... I must confess, Hamilton, that I probably would have infused it with a little more skepticism, but bitter resentment won't prevent me from admitting it was a good piece. Well done.”
“The situation: surviving on a few handfuls of rice on this famine-stricken island of Lombok. But, it's the faces you can't forget. Like images in a reoccurring nightmare, they just keep coming back. Haunted faces. Starring blankly back from the windows of tumbled down hovels. The hollow, lifeless eyes. Skin stretched tight across bones. Hands...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Jill Bryant: I found it a bit melodramatic. That's only my opinion, my flatmate was moved to tears. So, there you are.
- Guy Hamilton: What does it take to move you to tears?”
“- Kumar: At least they will give us discipline.
- Billy Kwan: Stalin had good Discipline. He wiped out 10 million.”
“- Guy Hamilton: What do you do at the embassy? Apart from socializing?
- Jill Bryant: I work with Ralph.
- Guy Hamilton: You a spy? You're a spook, aren't you?
- Jill Bryant: If I were, I'd hardly tell you, would I?”
“Why can't you give yourself? Why can't you learn to love?”
Luke. Chapter 3, verse 10. "What then must we do?" Tolstoy asked the same question. He wrote a book with that title. He got so upset about the poverty in Moscow that he went one night into the poorest section and just gave away all his money. You could do that now. Five American dollars would be a fortune to one of these people.
“- Pete Curtis: You really think Sukarno's going to let the commies have their own little private army?
- Guy Hamilton: That's what Aidit says.
- Pete Curtis: Aidit's lying.
- Guy Hamilton: Maybe.
- Pete Curtis: Then why report it?
- Guy Hamilton: Maybe he's not lying.”
“Starvation is a great aphrodisiac.”
“Boss, take off your sunglasses when you go in. Palace guards say they can tell assassin by his eyes.”
“I believed in you. I thought you were a man of light. That's why I gave you those stories you think are so important. I made you see things. I made you feel something about is right. I gave you my trust. So did Jill. I created you.”
“- Billy Kwan: The one great advantage of being a dwarf is that you can be wiser than other people and no one envies you.
- Guy Hamilton: You're not a dwarf.
- Billy Kwan: That's what I like about you, Guy. You really don't care, do you? Or, maybe you just don't see.”
“People who will become old, betray their dreams, become ghosts.”
“- Billy Kwan: That's the real Jakarta. Scrounging for a few handfuls of rice to keep them alive another day. That's a story you journalists don't tell in your reports.
- Guy Hamilton: Well, nobody wants to hear it.
- Billy Kwan: Tell them anyway!”
“When a thought crosses your mind, it's been on the shortest trip in Jakarta.”
“- Billy Kwan: What do you think of her?
- Guy Hamilton: Not my type.
- Billy Kwan: Oh. Why's that?
- Guy Hamilton: It's her attitude. You know how the British can be so damn superior? It's like the colonel with his gin, tonic and ice.
- Billy Kwan: Jill is not like that at all.”
“- Billy Kwan: You just don't think about the major issues. You do whatever you can about the misery that's in front of you. Add your light to the sum of light. You think that's naïve?
- Guy Hamilton: Yup.
- Billy Kwan: It's all right. Most journalists do.
- Guy Hamilton: We can't afford to get involved.
- Billy Kwan: Typical journo's answer.”
“Our first air conditioned hotel. Here, Americans and Europeans pay to pick up cold.”
“- Guy Hamilton: Missed anything?
- Wally O'Sullivan: Yeah, 63 minutes of excruciating boredom.”