Julie Delpy quotes
“Isn't everything we do in life a way to be loved a little more?”
“You can never replace anyone because everyone is made up of such beautiful specific details.”
“Memory is a wonderful thing if you don't have to deal with the past.”
“When you're an actress, you become this thing in people's hands that people are trying to manipulate. I cannot stand it.”
“The condition of being an actress can be unbearable.”
“- Jesse: Listen, if somebody gave me the choice right now, of to never see you again or to marry you, alright, I would marry you, alright. And maybe that's a lot of romantic bullshit, but people have gotten married for a lot less.
- Céline: Actually, I think I had decided I wanted to sleep with you when we got off the train. But now that we've...” (continue)(continue reading)
“People can lead their life as a lie. My grandmother, she was married to this man, and I always thought she had a very simple, uncomplicated love life. But she just confessed to me that she spent her whole life dreaming about another man she was always in love with. She just accepted her fate. It's so sad.”
“When you're young, you just believe there'll be many people with whom you'll connect with. Later in life, you realize it only happens a few times.”
“- Céline: You know what I want?
- Jesse: What?
- Céline: To be kissed.
- Jesse: Well I can do that.”
“- Celine: Men go out with me, we break up and then they get married. And later they call me to thank me for teaching them what love is. That I tought them to care and respect women.
- Jesse: I think I'm one of those guys.
- Celine: I wanna kill them! Why didn't they ask me to marry them? I would've said no, but at least they could have asked.”
“I used to think that if none of your family or friends knew you were dead, it was like not really being dead. People can invent the best and the worst for you.”
“- Celine: Do you think you would have finished your book if you were fucking someone every five minutes?
- Jesse: I might have welcomed the challenge.”
“- Celine: The past is the past. It was meant to be that way.
- Jesse: What, you really believe that? That everything's fated?
- Celine: Well, you know, the world might be less free than we think.
- Jesse: Yeah?
- Celine: Yeah, when given these exact circumstances, that's what will happen every time: two part hydrogen, one part oxygen, you get...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Jesse: Why do you think everybody thinks relationships are supposed to last forever anyway?
- Céline: Yeah, why. It's stupid.”
“Even being alone it's better than sitting next to your lover and feeling lonely.”
“I had worked for this old man and once he told me that he had spent his whole life thinking about his career and his work. And he was fifty-two and it suddenly struck him that he had never really given anything of himself. His life was for no one and nothing. He was almost crying saying that.”
“I believe if there's any kind of God it wouldn't be in any of us, not you or me but just this little space in between. If there's any kind of magic in this world it must be in the attempt of understanding someone sharing something. I know, it's almost impossible to succeed but who cares really? The answer must be in the attempt.”
“- Jesse: I have an admittedly insaneidea, but if I don't ask you this it's just, uh, you know, it's gonna haunt me the rest of my life.
- Celine: What?
- Jesse: Um... I want to keep talking to you, y'know. I have no idea what your situation is, but, uh, but I feel like we have some kind of, uh, connection. Right?
- Celine: Yeah, me too.”
“- Zoe: We fit together.
- Zed: All men and women fit together. Even some men fit together.”