Sir Ian McKellen quotes
“I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying, 'This is fiction.'”
“I don't do fiction. Not my field.”
“You must write again, Will.”
“- Henry Wriothesley: We have only Johnson now.
- William Shakespeare: Who laughs at me because I speak no Greek and don't know whether Bohemia has a coast.
- Henry Wriothesley: Oh Christ Will, why do you care what he thinks? You wrote King Lear.”
“I will draw you, Saruman, as poison is drawn from a wound.”
“I don't live alone, I have the housekeeper!”
- Eva Cuza: We're dealing with a Golem! A devil!
- Dr. Cuza: A devil? Now you listen to me! The devil in the Keep wears a black uniform and has a death's head in his cap, and calls himself a "Sturmbannführer"!
“- Logan: What do you want?
- Magneto: There are dark forces, Logan. Human forces building a weapon that could bring about the end of our kind. What do I want? I want your help.”
“The Good Book did not arrive by facsimile from heaven.”
“- Tamiki Umezaki: My mother, she wonders if you brought your famous hat.
- Sherlock Holmes: The deerstalker? I've never worn one.
- Tamiki Umezaki: And a pipe?
- Sherlock Holmes: I prefer a cigar.”
“They'll all burn in hell, and someone's gotta tell 'em so.”
“They were, as John always described them, penny dreadfuls with an elevated prose style.”
“And so ends the story about a woman who died before her time, and a man who had long outlived his.”
“- Boy's Mother: You must forgive my son, he loves bees.
- Sherlock Holmes: It isn't a bee, it's a wasp. Different thing entirely.”
“There seems to be an outbreak of mortality.”
“From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak I fought with the Balrog of Morgoth until at last I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountain side. Darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time. The stars wheeled overhead, and every day was as long as a life age of the earth... But it was not the end. I felt life in me...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Are you a God-fearing man? That is such a strange phrase. I've always thought of God as a teacher; a bringer of light, wisdom, and understanding. You see, I think what you really fear is me. Me and my kind.”
“- Sherlock Holmes: I have been alone. All my life. But with the compensations of the intellect.
- Ann Kelmot: And is that enough?
- Sherlock Holmes: It can be. If one is so fortunate as to find a place in the world.”
“- Frodo: What news of the outside world? Tell me everything.
- Gandalf: Everything? You are far too eager and curious for a Hobbit. Most unnatural.”
“Mankind has always feared what it doesn't understand.”