Saoirse Una Ronan quotes
“I suppose marriage has always been an economic proposition. Even in fiction.”
“Women, they have minds, and they have souls, as well as just hearts. And they've got ambition, and they've got talent, as well as just beauty. I'm so sick of people saying that love is just all a woman is fit for.”
I can't say "yes" truly, so I'm not going to say it at all.
“It's normal to not touch a penis.”
“- Julie Steffans: What about terrorism?
- Christine 'Lady Bird' McPherson: Don't be republican.”
“The only thing exciting about 2002 is that it's a palindrome.”
“- Marion McPherson: I want you to be the very best version of yourself that you can be.
- Christine 'Lady Bird' McPherson: What if this is the best version?”
“Different things can be sad... it's not all war!”
“- Sister Sarah Joan: You clearly love Sacramento.
- Christine 'Lady Bird' McPherson: I do?
- Sister Sarah Joan: You write about Sacramento so affectionately and with such care.
- Christine 'Lady Bird' McPherson: I was just describing it.
- Sister Sarah Joan: Well it comes across as love.
- Christine 'Lady Bird' McPherson: Sure, I guess I pay...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Mary Stuart: Just be wary of these men. Their love is not the same as their respect.
- Mary Fleming: Might I ask, since we’ve not known it ourselves, what is it like?
- Mary Stuart: To have a man?
- Mary Fleming: Mm-hmm.
- Mary Stuart: I have only lain with François. He shook terribly from fright. The poor boy did his best. But it was over...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Mary Stuart: Are you afraid, Henry?
- Henry Darnley: No.
- Mary Stuart: Good. Because our swords are not just for show.”
“We are two sisters bound by womanhood. Two princes on the same island. Ruling side by side, we must do so in harmony. And not through a treaty drafted by men lesser than ourselves. I wish us to make a treaty of two queens. I would acknowledge your rightful place on the English throne were you to name me your successor. I hope we might meet in...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Mary Stuart: Do not play into their hands. Our hatred is precisely what they hope for. I know your heart has more within it than the men who counsel you.
- Queen Elizabeth I: You would do well to watch your words!
- Mary Stuart: I will not be scolded by my inferior!
- Queen Elizabeth I: Your inferior?”
“The next time you tell me you love me, if there is a next time, I'll, I'll say I love you too.”
“- Briony Tallis, aged 13: If I fell in the river, would you save me?
- Robbie Turner: Of course.”
“- Eilis: Never again to America?
- Georgina: The mistake was coming home.”
“You'll feel so homesick that you'll want to die, and there's nothing you can do about it apart from endure it. But you will, and it won't kill you. And one day the sun will come out - you might not even notice straight away, it'll be that faint. And then you'll catch yourself thinking about something or someone who has no connection with the past.”
“Even if the first date is a disaster, I'll give it another chance.”
“- Briony Tallis, aged 13: Why don't you talk to Robbie anymore?
- Cecilia Tallis: I do. We just move in different circles, that's all.”
“Love is all very well, but you have to be sensible.”