Judges quotes32 judges quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
“One judge is quite like another. The only differences may be in the state of their digestions or their proclivities for sleeping on the bench. For myself, I can digest pig iron. And while I might appear to doze occasionally, you will find that I am easily awakened, particularly if shaken gently by a good lawyer with a nice point of law.”
“This is a man bent on killing himself, it's not secret, a guard found him in his chambers once trying to hang himself! This is a man who's making value decisions on people's lives!”
“My job is to represent the interest of the people, make an effort to be objective.”
“Welcome to the Spanish Inquisition.”
“- Freddy Bender: Objection, Your Honor: strangling the witness.
- Judge Marva Munson: I'm going to allow it.”
“You will be alone. Upon retirement, you will take the long walk... which every Judge takes, outside these city walls, into the cursed Earth. There you will remain for the last of your days, alone and carrying the Law.”
“- Diane Lightson: Does he treat all traffic violators this graciously?
- Dennis: Only ones he takes a special interest in, like bankers.”
“- John Quincy Adams: Now, you understand you're going to the Supreme Court. Do you know why?
- Cinque: It is the place where they finally kill us.”
“He had that quality that judges have, where they have tremendous compassion, but they're also ferocious at the same time.”
“Your honor, with all due respect: if you're going to try my case for me, I wish you wouldn't lose it.”
“- Sam Sleaze: What seems to be the problem, officer? What's the charge?
- State Trooper: What about counterfeiting, extortion, fraud, impersonating a dentist, stealing an apple from a kid?
- Sam Sleaze: Oh, about that apple, officer, I can explain that. We was just holding it for a friend.
- State Trooper: You can tell that to the judge.”
“Guilt or innocence, that's not my job. It's my duty to pick up scum-sucking punks like yourself who are accused of a crime. A jury of twelve really stupid people who are easily swayed by rich, fat-cat, slimy lawyers, who'll do anything but tell the truth, will sit in judgment of you. It's as American as a burrito.”
“In the horrific deaths of Emmett Till, Reverend G.W. Lee, Lamar Smith and a variety of other atrocities, no one has been convicted. And we feel that those guilty of having commited these ungodly acts have the feeling of assurance that nothing ever would be done. For you see, ladies and gentlemen, white juries have yet to convict a white man in...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Girl with Tod: The judge will give you 15 years for what you're thinking.
- Tod Newton: It'd be worth it.”
“- Richard Sharpe: Did you volunteer for this lot, Cooper?
- Cooper: Uh no, not exactly sir. I was invited to join... by a magistrate.”
“What are you two, a comedy team?”
“- Cauchon: Father Vincente, you're the most venerable among us. What do you think?
- Father Vincente: I think this trial is a masquerade, and I won't be part of it anymore. I'm willing to be her judge, but not her executioner.
- Cauchon: That's what I'm trying to ensure.
- Father Vincente: A verdict comes at the end of a trial, Cauchon, not at...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I am embarrassed to admit that I was under the misconception that our Executive and Judicial Branches were separate.”
I'd prepared a case and old man White said to me, "How did you do?". And, I said, "Did my best". And he said, "You're not paid to do your best. You're paid to win".