Plot – In Gattaca, in a not too distant future, the parents can choose the genetic features of the baby that they want to create, thanks to the amazing scientific progress. It is a problem if someone gets ‘spontaneously’ pregnant. This is precisely the fate of Vincent Freeman, a sensitive and ambitious guy labeled ‘invalid’ because he has been conceived in love and not created in the laboratory. Vincent deceives the authorities and volunteers as navigator of the Gattaca Corporation. He gets to know Jerome Morrow, a man of superior nature, paralytic after an accident and willing to sell his own genetic material. Therefore, Vincent has the opportunity to disguise himself, but he has to conceal his flaws.
All actors – Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Gore Vidal, Xander Berkeley, Jayne Brook, Elias Koteas, Maya Rudolph, Una Damon, Elizabeth Dennehy, Blair Underwood, Mason Gamble, Vincent Nielson, Chad Christ, William Lee Scott, Clarence Graham, Ernest Borgnine, Tony Shalhoub, Jude Law, Alan Arkin, Carlton Bembry, Grace Sullivan, Ken Marino, Cynthia Martells, Loren Dean, Gabrielle Reece, Ryan Dorin, Dean Norris, Russell Milton, George Marshall Ruge, Steve Bessen, Lindsey Ginter, Dan Griffin, Beverly Griffith, David LeBellshow all
“Gattaca” Quotes 27 quotes
“I was never more certain of how far away I was from my goal than when I was standing right beside it.”
“There's no gene for fate.”
“- Anton: You've gone as far as you can go. You come with me now!
- Vincent: There is still a few million miles left to go.”
“They used to say that a child conceived in love has a greater chance of happiness. They don't say that anymore.”
“If at first you don't succeed... try, try again.”
“- Geneticist: You have specified hazel eyes, dark hair and fair skin. I've taken the liberty of eradicating any potentially prejudicial conditions. Premature baldness, myopia... alcoholism and addictive susceptibility... propensity for violence, obesity, etc.
- Marie Freeman: We didn't want... Diseases, yes, but..
- Antonio Freeman: We were just...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Blood has no nationality.”
“You are the authority on what is not possible, aren't you Irene? They've got you looking for any flaw, that after a while that's all you see. For what it's worth, I'm here to tell you that it is possible. It is possible.”
“Jerome Morrow was never meant to be one step down on the podium.”
“I belonged to a new underclass, no longer determined by social status or the color of your skin. No, we now have discrimination down to a science.”
“- Vincent: I don't know how to thank you.
- Jerome: No, no. I got the better end of the deal. I only lent you my body. You lent me your dream.”
“Is the only way you can succeed is to see me fail?”
“For future reference, right-handed men don't hold it with their left. Just one of those things.”
“For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home.”
“- Vincent: A year is a long time.
- Irene: Not so long. Just once around the sun.”
“- Vincent: My God, are you going to tell me what I can and can't do now? In case you haven't noticed, I don't need anymore rescuing, but you did once.
- Anton: You didn't rescue me. I rescued myself.
- Vincent: Who are you trying to fool?
- Anton: You want me to prove it to you? Ok, I'll prove it to you!”
“- Anton Freeman: Vincent! How are you doing this Vincent? How have you done any of this? We have to go back.
- Vincent: It's too late for that. We're closer to the other side.
- Anton Freeman: What other side? You wanna drown us both?
- Vincent: You wanna know how I did it? This is how I did it Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back.”
“- Vincent: I can't go anywhere without seeing my own face. They'll recognize me.
- Jerome: They won't recognize you.
- Vincent: They'll recognize me.
- Jerome: I don't recognize you.”