Plot – Joining the army seems to be the last life line to John Winger, who has lost his job, his house, his car and his girlfriend on the same day. With his friend Russell, John starts this adventure and they will be even rewarded with a medal.
All actors – Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, Warren Oates, P.J. Soles, Sean Young, John Candy, John Larroquette, John Voldstad, John Diehl, Lance LeGault, Roberta Leighton, Conrad Dunn, Judge Reinhold, Antone Pagan, Glenn-Michael Jones, William Lucking, Fran Ryan, Joe Flaherty, Nick Toth, Dave Thomas, Robin Klein, Robert J. Wilke, Lois Hamilton, Samuel Briggs, Hershel B. Harlson, Timothy Busfield, Solomon Schmidt, Gino Gottarelli, Gene Scherer, Dawn Clark, Anita Merritt, Susan Mechsner, Sue Bowser, Linda Dupree, Leslie Henderson, Craig Schaefer, Arkady Rakhman, Pamela Bowman, Gerard J. Counts, Yetim Buntsis, Semyon Veyts, Larry R. Gillette, Glenn Leigh Marshall, Dale Prince, Larry Odell Lane, Joyce D. Helmus, David A. Mullins, Bruce E. Ellis, David D. Platko, Phillip A. Urbansky, William R. Sykes, Bill Paxton, J.A. Crawford, Michael Flynn, Norman Mont-Eton, Mark S. Markowicz, Jeff Viola, Robert Dulaine, Donald Gibb, Michael King, Dennis Quaidshow all
“Stripes” Quotes 21 quotes
“We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts!”
“- John: C'mon, it's Czechoslovakia. We zip in, we pick 'em up, we zip right out again. We're not going to Moscow. It's Czechoslovakia. It's like going into Wisconsin.
- Russell: Well I got the shit kicked out of me in Wisconsin once. Forget it!”
“- Cruiser: I guess we're going after John and Russell. I can't believe they're Russian spies. Can you?
- Psycho: All I know is, finally I get to kill somebody.”
- Recruiter: Now, are either of you homosexuals?
- John: You mean, like, flaming, or...
- Recruiter: Well, it's a standard question we have to ask.
- Russell: No, we're not homosexual, but we are willing to learn.
- John: Yeah, would they send us someplace special?
- Recruiter: I guess that's "no" on both. Now if you could just give Uncle Sam... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Sgt. Hulka: We got a full day ahead of us. We're gonna start out with a five-mile run.
- John Winger: I know that I'm speaking for the entire platoon when I say this run should be postponed until this platoon is better rested.
- Sgt Hulka: Well, I'll tell you what, soldier. Let's make it ten miles.”
“You can't go! All the plants are gonna die!”
“- Psycho: The name's Francis Soyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.
- Leon: Ooooooh.
- Psycho: You just made the list, buddy. And I don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me....” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Capt. Stillman: You men are a disgrace. Maybe a few days in the stockade will help you change your rotten attitudes.
- Cruiser: But, um, we're supposed to graduate tomorrow, sir.
- Capt. Stillman: That's even better. Tomorrow, you'll be on parade in front of General Barnicke. And when he sees what total fuck-ups you are, I will recommend that...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I've got a slight weight problem. Yeah, yeah I do. Yeah, I do. I went to this doctor. Well, he told me I swallow a lot of aggression... along with a lot of pizzas! Ha Ha Ha! Pizzas! I'm basically a shy person, I'm a shy guy. Uh, he suggested taking one these uh, aggression training courses. You know these aggression training courses like EST,...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Ox: It doesn't seem fair.
- John: Fair? Who cares about fair? The world isn't fair. Truth is fair. Is it fair that you were born like this? No! They're not expecting somebody like you in there, Ox. They're expected one of these slugs. You're different. You're weird. You're a mutant. You're a killer. You're a trained killer. You're a lean......” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Sgt. Hulka: Men, welcome to the United States Army. I'm Sergeant Hulka. I'm your drill sergeant. Before we proceed any further, we gotta get something straight. Your mamas are not here to take care of you now. It's just you, me, and Uncle Sam. And before I leave you, you're gonna find out that me and Uncle Sam are one in the same.
- John:...” (continue)(continue reading)
“There's something wrong with us, something very, very wrong with us. Something seriously wrong with us - we're soldiers. But we're American soldiers!”
“- John Winger: I've had an interesting morning. In the last two hours I've lost my job, my apartment, my car, and my girlfriend.
- Russell Ziskey: You still have your health.”
“- Russell: John, do you think I'm officer material?
- John: God, I'm worried about you.
- Russell: Come on! I'm in good shape, I'm walking tall, I'm looking good. First weekend in Europe.
- John: Yeah. We're spending it in an airplane hangar... guarding a truck!
- Russell: We've got each other.”
I've always been kind of a pacifist. When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it". I don't know what kind of soldier I'm gonna make, but I want you guys to know that if we ever get into really heavy combat... I'll be right behind you guys. Every step of the way.
“We're all dogfaces, we're all very, very different, but there is one thing that we all have in common: we were all stupid enough to enlist in the Army.”
“Now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. I mean, it's not just the uniform. It's the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination.”
“- Russell: You could join a monastery.
- John: Did you ever see a monk get wildly fucked by some teenage girls?
- Russell: Never.
- John: So much for the monastery.”