Jim Broadbent quotes
“We seem to have reached the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away.”
“- Bill 'The Butcher' Cutting: I don't see no Americans. I see trespassers, Irish harps. Do a job for a nickel what a nigger does for a dime and a white man used to get a quarter for. What have they done? Name one thing they've contributed.
- William 'Boss' Tweed: Votes.
- Bill 'The Butcher' Cutting: Votes, you say? They vote how the archbishop...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Sweet Jesus, war does terrible things to people.”
“In fact I'd like to go back and live in Shakespeare's London.”
“Other people have a much better idea of what I might do than I.”
“Gentlemen you are the fliers of the future! The far future!”
“Remember the first rule of politics. The ballots don't make the results, the counters make the results. The counters. Keep counting.”
“Mum's throwing a Christmas party slash political rally. It's like the G8 summit with Scotch eggs.”
“I barely recognize this country anymore. The government's got us seeing Communists in our soup.”
“Homesickness is like most sicknesses. It will pass.”
“There's something inherently disappointing about success.”
“- William Schwenck Gilbert: Every theatrical performance is a contrivance by its very nature.
- Arthur Sullivan: Yes, but this piece consists entirely of an artificial and implausible situation.
- William Schwenck Gilbert: If you wish to write a grand opera about a prostitute, dying of consumption in a garret, I suggest you contact Mr. Ibsen in...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Col: You could always make it up to her. When a girl runs out like that, she generally wants to be followed.
- Fergus: She's not a girl, Col.
- Col: Whatever you say.”
“We've all got a black book of missed opportunities.”
“I think we all have a selfish gene which rises to the top, sometimes. But then we're also all capable of a sudden magnanimity.”
“My body aged quickly but for my heart it took more time.”
“I suppose that's the way life goes on. You have something now and then it suddenly goes... Poof!”
“You can't be angsty all day or else it becomes a sort of pale angst.”
“The world would be a duller place without Moulin Rouge.”
“I never was a great Thatcher fan, and it wasn't a sad day in my life when she resigned.”
“- Col: He's what she should run a mile away from.
- Fergus: Then why doesn't she?
- Col: Who knows the secrets of the human heart?”