Japan quotes68 japan quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
“I never knew Japan when it was a country of light, but I have never known it to be as dark as it is now. All our progress has ended in new persecution, new repression, new suffering. They use ladles filled with holes so the drops would come out slowly, and the pain would be prolonged. Each small splash of the water was like a burning coal. The...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I'm not always great in pictures, but I'm always true to the Japanese spirit.”
“The idea of a Japanese comedian was not only a rarity, it was non-existent.”
“For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.”
“If you understand devotion, you will understand Japan.”
“Japan has surrendered, brought to its knees by the most terrible weapon ever devised: the atomic bomb. The country is a smoking ruin.”
- General Kajima: There are two Japanese words you should know. "Tatemae", the way things appear. "Honne", the way things really are. When you look at Japan, you see the most modern and westernised of Asian countries, but that is "tatemae", the surface.
- General Bonner Fellers: And "honne"?
- General Kajima: It is the true heartbeat of my... (continue)(continue reading)
“- Jean-Pierre: Forty-seven samurai, whose master was betrayed and killed by another lord. They became ronin - masterless samurai - disgraced by another man's treachery. For three years they plotted, pretending to be thieves, mercenaries, even madmen and then one night they struck, slipping into the castle of their lord's betrayer and killing...” (continue)(continue reading)
“We did our duty, but we lost our humanity. You must understand, we Japanese are a selfless people capable of immense sacrifice because of our complete devotion to a set of ideas. We are also ruthless warriors capable of unspeakable crimes because of that same complete devotion. I cannot tell you if the Emperor is guilty or innocent. I don't know...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Eddie: You people caused quite a stir.
- Jack McGurn: It was a legal demonstration, sir. Perfectly within the Constitution.
- Eddie: Well, all that striking stuff is over now, mister. When Japs step on the beach, you think they'll take any notice of your banners? They'll stick a bayonet in your belly, grievance or no grievance. This is America...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Nick Conklin: Just hope they got a Nip in this building who speaks fucking English.
- Matsumoto Masahiro: Assistant inspector Matsumoto Masahiro, criminal investigation section, Osaka prefecture police. And I do speak fucking English.”
“My Japanese is getting better. We started speaking English.”
“Look, I've been living in this country for seven years, and I still can't read the headlines. Yes means no. Maybe means never.”