Humphrey Bogart quotes
“Trouble with England, it's all pomp and no circumstance. You're very wise to get out of it, escape, while you can.”
“- Ahmed: Your demands are very great, under the circumstances.
- Billy Dannreuther: Why shouldn't they be? Fat Gut's my best friend, and I will not betray him cheaply.”
“- Peterson: You mean Mrs. Chelm is an unqualified liar?
- Billy Dannreuther: Well, let's say she uses her imagination rather than her memory.”
“Nothin' a man can't do if he sets his mind to it. Never say die. That's my motto!”
“It's a great thing to have a lady aboard with clean habits. It sets the man a good example. A man alone, he gets to living like a hog.”
“There ain't nothing so complicated as the inside of a torpedo.”
“- Charlie Allnut: What are you being so mean for, Miss? A man takes a drop too much once in a while, it's only human nature.
- Rose Sayer: Nature, Mr. Allnut, is what we are put in this world to rise above.”
“- Charlie Allnut: How'd you like it?
- Rose Sayer: Like it?
- Charlie Allnut: White water rapids!
- Rose Sayer: I never dreamed...
- Charlie Allnut: I don't blame you for being scared - not one bit. Nobody with good sense ain't scared of white water...
- Rose Sayer: I never dreamed that any mere physical experience could be so stimulating!”
“One thing in the world I hate: leeches. Filthy little devils.”
“I've had a lot of experience in matters of this kind. I've killed dozens of people... in pictures.”
“- Dixon Steele: You annoy me!
- Laurel Gray: If I do, it isn't intentional.”
“- Brub Nicolai: You know, I got married.
- Dixon Steele: Why?
- Brub Nicolai: Oh, I don't know. I guess she had a couple of bucks to spare.”
“- Dixon Steele: Oh, I love a picnic. Acres and acres of sand and all of it in your food.
- Laurel Gray: Stop griping. Just lie still and inhale.
- Dixon Steele: What, sand?
- Laurel Gray: No, air - and don't let it go to your head.”
“- Frances Randolph: Do you look down on all women or just the ones you know?
- Dixon Steele: I was pretty nice to you.
- Frances Randolph: No, not to me. But you were pretty nice.”
“I grant you, the jokes could've been better, but I don't see why the rest should worry you - that is, unless you plan to arrest me on lack of emotion.”
“- Laurel Gray: I love the love scene - it's very good.
- Dixon Steele: Well that's because they're not always telling each other how much in love they are. A good love scene should be about something else besides love. For instance, this one. Me fixing grapefruit. You sitting over there, dopey, half-asleep. Anyone looking at us could tell we're...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Mildred Atkinson: Before I started to go to work at Paul's, I used to think that actors made up their own lines.
- Dixon Steele: When they get to be big stars, they usually do.”
“- Dixon Steele: Go ahead and get some sleep and we'll have dinner together tonight.
- Laurel Gray: We'll have dinner tonight. But not together.”
“There's no sacrifice too great for a chance at immortality.”