Humphrey Bogart quotes
“I guess nobody ever really knows anybody.”
- "Gloves" Donahue: Any message?
- Barney: Should I leave out the curse words?
- "Gloves" Donahue: Yeah.
- Barney: No message.
“- Brigid O'Shaughnessy: You know down deep in your heart and in spite of anything I've done I love you.
- Samuel Spade: I don't care who loves who! I won't play the sap for you. I won't walk in Thursby's - and I don't know how many other's - footsteps. You killed Miles and you're going over for it.”
“- Captain Louis Renault: I've often speculated why you don't return to America. Did you abscond with the church funds? Run off with a senator's wife? I like to think you killed a man. It's the romantic in me.
- Rick Blaine: It was a combination of all three.”
“- Detective Tom Polhaus: Heavy. What is it?
- Samuel Spade: The stuff that dreams are made of.”
“- Rick Blaine: Remember, this gun is pointed right at your heart.
- Captain Louis Renault: That is my least vulnerable spot.”
“- Sam Spade: If you kill me, how are you going get the bird? And if I know you can't afford to kill me, how are you going to scare me into giving it to you?
- Kasper Gutman: There are other means of persuasion besides killing and threatening to kill.”
- "Gloves" Donahue: Do you remember anything else from your youth?
- Sunshine: Yeah, but they gave me three years to forget.
“I don't mind a reasonable amount of trouble.”
“We both know you belong with Victor. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.”
“I swear that I will die fighting those whose serpent trail has winnowed the fair fields of our allies and sympathizers.”
“- George Halley: You scared?
- Lloyd Hart: Yes I am.
- George Halley: No heart, huh?
- Lloyd Hart: At least I haven't got any heart for this. I thought this business would be over with before I got here.”
“I got thinkin' about that book you wrote, you know, on Napoleon. Figured that him and me bein' so much alike, you'd like to do a little job for me.”
“- Farnsworth: You don't have to be nasty about it.
- Paul Fabrini: We don't have to be, but it's more fun that way.”
“- Chips Maguire: I'll be your sucker.
- Sarah Jane Ryan: That's a dangerous promise.”
“- Joe Gurney: Well, can I take it or can I take it?
- Carol Nelson: You can take it. Some people aren't sensitive to pain, especially moronic types.”
“That's a hot one. First time anybody ever told me to keep my mouth shut and got away with it.”
“I will pray to an avenging God and an umerciful Devil to tear my heart out and roast it over the flames of sulfur, and lastly may my soul be given into the torment that my body be submerged into molten metal and stifled into the flames of Hell, and that this punishment may be meted out to me through all eternity.”
“I wouldn't give you two cents for a dame without a temper.”