Humphrey Bogart quotes
“I didn’t do anything I’ve never done before, but when the camera moves in on that Bergman face, and she’s saying she loves you, it would make anybody feel romantic.”
“Well everybody in Casablanca has problems. Yours may work out.”
“All you owe the public is a good performance.”
- Leda Hamilton: If you only had kept out of this... you've messed up everything.
- "Gloves" Donahue: I'm ashamed of myself.
“The only reason to have money is to tell any SOB in the world to go to hell.”
“When your head says one thing and your whole life says another, your head always loses.”
“Why the hell don't they hire some of the old ones? All those bastards at the studios are trying to do is find fifty-dollar-a-week Gables, Coopers, and Bogarts.”
“- Victor Laszlo: I ask only one thing. You won't give me the letters of transit: all right, but I want my wife to be safe. I ask you as a favor, to use the letters to take her away from Casablanca.
- Rick Blaine: You love her that much?
- Victor Laszlo: Apparently you think of me only as the leader of a cause. I'm also a human being. Yes, I love...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Everybody has bad luck with me.”
“- Big Mac: Times have sure changed.
- Roy Earle: You know, Mac, sometimes I feel like I don't know what it's all about anymore.”
“The trick is, how much scaring can you take?”
“That's the word of God. And it's good. But I don't think He'd mind if I put my oar in. These are eight men we knew and liked, guys like us. Guys we ate with and slept with and fought with. We were just a little luckier than they were. We'll miss them. All of them.”
- Sam Spade: You won't need much of anybody's help. You're good. Chiefly your eyes, I think, and that throb you get in your voice when you say things like "Be generous, Mr. Spade".
- Brigid O'Shaughnessy: I deserve that. But the lie was in the way I said it, not at all in what I said. It's my own fault if you can't believe me now.
“- Eddie: Hey, boss, where am I gonna pick up a typewriter at this time of the night? The stores are all closed!
- Joe Gurney: Well, open one!”
“I spent most of my time since I grew up in jail - it looks like I'll spend the rest of my life dead.”
“- Capt. M. Renard: What are your sympathies?
- Harry Morgan: Minding my own business.”