Humphrey Bogart quotes
“- Norris: Are you attempting to tell me my duties, sir?
- Marlowe: No, just having fun trying to guess what they are.”
“- Vivian: Do you always think you can handle people like, uh, trained seals?
- Marlowe: Uh-huh. I usually get away with it too.
- Vivian: How nice for you.”
“- General Sternwood: Do you like orchids?
- Marlowe: Not particularly.
- General Sternwood: Nasty things. Their flesh is too much like the flesh of men. Their perfume has the rotten sweetness of corruption.”
“- Marlowe: Did I hurt you much, sugar?
- Agnes Lowzier: You and every other man I've ever met.”
“- Vivian: You go too far, Marlowe.
- Marlowe: Those are harsh words to throw at a man, especially when he's walking out of your bedroom.”
“- General Sternwood: How do you like your brandy, sir?
- Marlowe: In a glass.”
“- Vivian: Why did you have to go on?
- Marlowe: Too many people told me to stop.”
“- Vivian: I don't like your manners!
- Marlowe: I'm not crazy about yours. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like 'em myself. They are pretty bad. I grieve over them long winter evenings, and I don't mind your ritzing me, or drinking your lunch out of a bottle. But don't waste your time trying to...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Carmen Sternwood: You're not very tall, are you?
- Marlowe: Well, I, uh, I tried to be.”
- Ebbing: It's a great pity, Mr. Donahue, that you and I should oppose each other. We have so much in common.
- "Gloves" Donahue: Yeah? How's that?
- Ebbing: You are a man of action. You take what you want, and so do we. You have no respect for democracy - neither do we. It's clear we should be allies.
“The hell with the hair on your head. It's the hair on your chest that counts.”
“Spence is the best we have, because you don't see the mechanism working.”
“I'm a professional. I've done pretty well, don't you think? I've survived in a pretty rough business.”
“I was always the guy behind the guy behind the gun.”
“You know what's right and you know what's wrong. You know better, but you just won't do anything about it.”
“That dame is too uptight. What she needs is a good screw from a man who knows how to do it.”
“If James Dean had lived they’d have discovered he wasn’t a legend.”
“She doesn’t give a damn how she looks. I don’t think she tries to be a character. I think she is one.”