Past quotes333 past quotes, film quotes, movie lines, taglines
“Back in the Middle Ages, in more noble times, when a knight failed his king, that knight would throw himself onto his sword to avoid the humiliation of being ostracized by his peers for his incompetence and cowardice.”
“Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther and one fine morning. So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
“- Sage: So you used to like men?
- Elle: I always liked women, I just didn't like myself.”
“She could see the world with painful accuracy, but she couldn't see herself or her fate. And because I was in love with her I decided I couldn't see it either.”
“There is no future until we settle our past.”
“- Dale Arbus: Let the past be the past.
- Nick Hendricks: Yeah. The past? Well, we're not in the fucking past. We're in the goddamn present.”
“- Danny McGuire: Don't tell anyone, but I'm nervous.
- Kira: What about?
- Danny McGuire: I haven't had a club opening since... 1945. Wow.
- Kira: Then just pretend it's 1945 all over again.
- Danny McGuire: I don't have to pretend. It is 1945 all over again.”
“We were once a great people. Now we live in ruins. The kings of our past would weep if they could see how far we have fallen.”
“We were friends. We were better than brothers.”
“People are always talking about the old days. They say that the old movies were better, that the old actors were so great. But I don't think so. All I can say about the old days is that they have passed. ”
“Maybe in a past life I was a poet - or an artist.”
“How do you leave the past behind when it keeps finding ways to get to your heart? It reaches way down deep and tears you inside out till you're torn apart.”
“- Bruce: I hope you realize you've just committed assault.
- Henry Desalvo: I know. There was a time when you actually had to hit somebody.”
“You are the only young man that I know of who ignores the fact that the future becomes the present, the present becomes the past, and the past turns into everlasting regret if you don't plan for it!”
“I think all of us want to feel something that we've forgotten or turned our backs on because maybe we didn't realize how much we were leaving behind. We need to remember what used to be good. If we don't, we won't recognize it even if it hits us between the eyes.”
“- Terence Mann: You're from the sixties.
- Ray Kinsella: Well, yeah, actually...
- Terence Mann: [spraying at Ray Kinsella with a insecticide sprayer] Out! Back to the sixties! Back! There's no place for you here in the future! Get back while you still can!”
“Looking back, immediately in front of us is dead ground. We don't see it, and because we don't see it this means that there is no period so remote as the recent past.”
“Which way do you want to go: forwards or backwards?”