F. Murray Abraham quotes
“On the page it looked nothing. The beginning simple, almost comic. Just a pulse. Bassoons and basset horns, like a rusty squeezebox. And then suddenly, high above it, an oboe. A single note, hanging there, unwavering. Until a clarinet took over and sweetened it into a phrase of such delight! This was no composition by a performing monkey! This...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I will speak for you, Father. I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint.”
“Ain't life a motherfucker.”
“You don't think the future knows how to cross a bridge?”
“- Meyer Lansky: We gotta get tough with Masseria and Faranzano. Only, we can't afford a war. They got armies; we don't.
- Arnold Rothstein: We got balls and brains; you got those, you don't need an army...”
“He was my idol. Mozart, I can't think of a time when I didn't know his name. I was still playing childish games and he was playing music for kings and emperors. Even the Pope in Rome! I admit I was jealous when I heard the tales they told about him. Not of the brilliant little prodigy himself, but of his father, who had taught him everything.”
“- Arnold Rothstein: Mr. Luciano, you're walking down the street. Suddenly you realize you're being followed. It's a hit. Walking towards you is a second gunman. You have time to fire at only one of them. Which one do...
- Charlie 'Lucky' Luciano: I don't accept the question. To live, I gotta kill 'em both.”
“- Jack Colt: I just gotta ask... what does human flesh taste like?
- Harold Leacher: Chicken.”
“I'm not going to just say nice things about everybody unless I mean it.”
“I think creativity is spiritual.”
“- Antonio Salieri: Are you sure you can't leave these and, and come back again?
- Constanze Mozart: It's very tempting sir, but it's impossible, I'm afraid. Wolfgang would be frantic if he found those were missing, you see they're all originals.
- Antonio Salieri: Originals?
- Constanze Mozart: Yes, sir, he doesn't make copies.
- Antonio Salieri...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Actually, the man had no ear at all. But what did it matter. He adored my music.”
My father, he did not care for music. When I told him how I wished I could be like Mozart, he would say; "Why? Do you want to be a trained monkey? Would you like me to drag you around Europe, doing tricks like a circus freak?".
“Curiosity, that's what kills us. Not muggers or all that bullshit about the ozone layer. It's our own hearts and minds.”
“Civil rights, brotherly love, all that shit, that gets left at the front gate.”
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: "Confutatis maledictis" - when the wicked are confounded. "Flammis Acribus Adictis". How would you translate that?
- Antonio Salieri: Consigned to flames of woe.
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Do you believe in it?
- Antonio Salieri: What?
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: A fire which never dies, burning you forever?
- Antonio... (continue)(continue reading)