Max von Sydow quotes
- From the movie: Snow Falling on Cedars
“It takes a rare thing, a turning point, to free oneself from any obsession. Be it prejudice or hate, or, even love.”
“Is it so terribly inconceivable to comprehend God with one's senses? Why does he hide in a cloud of half-promises and unseen miracles? How can we believe in the faithful when we lack faith? What will happen to us who want to believe, but can not? What about those who neither want to nor can believe? Why can't I kill God in me? Why does He live...” (continue)(continue reading)
“I think English is a fantastic, rich and musical language, but of course your mother tongue is the most important for an actor.”
“I met Death today. We are playing chess.”
“Faith is a torment. It is like loving someone who is out there in the darkness but never appears, no matter how loudly you call.”
“- Antonius Block: Who are you?
- Death: I am Death.
- Antonius Block: Have you come for me?
- Death: I have long walked by your side.
- Antonius Block: So I have noticed.
- Death: Are you ready?
- Antonius Block: My body is ready, but I am not.”
“- Antonius Block: I want knowledge! Not faith, not assumptions, but knowledge. I want God to stretch out His hand, uncover His face and speak to me.
- Death: But He remains silent.
- Antonius Block: I call out to Him in the darkness. But it's as if no one was there.
- Death: Perhaps there isn't anyone.”
“We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god.”
- From the movie: Brass Target
- From the movie: Dreamscape
“- Doctor Paul Novotny: How did you sleep? Have any dreams?
- Alex Gardner: You mind if take a leak before I give my deposition?”
- From the movie: Needful Things
“When I started out I was just a peddler moving across the blind face of a distant land. Moving, always moving. Always gone... and in the end I'd always offer weapons. And they'd always take them. Of course I was gone before they realized what they'd purchased.”
- From the movie: Needful Things
“I've always enjoyed ladies who take great pride in themselves.”
- From the movie: Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens
“I've traveled too far and seen too much to ignore the despair in the galaxy. Without the Jedi, there can be no balance in the Force.”
- From the movie: Judge Dredd
- From the movie: Shutter Island
- From the movie: Never Say Never Again
“We have invested heavily in the Middle East and Central America to promote insurgency and revolution. Fortunately, our capital outlay has been handsomely offset by the result and sale of armaments and missiles. You will note that we have supplied both to rebels and government forces, on an equal basis. In matters of death, SPECTRE is strictly...” (continue)(continue reading)
- From the movie: Conan the Barbarian
- From the movie: Flash Gordon
“Every thousand years, I test each life system in the Universe. I visit it with mysteries, earthquakes, unpredicted eclipses, strange craters in the wilderness... if these are taken as natural, I judge that system ignorant and harmless - I spare it. But if the Hand of Ming is recognized in these events, I judge that system dangerous to us. I call...” (continue)(continue reading)
“The more I had to act like a saint, the more I felt like being a sinner.”
“I don't believe in devils. Indifference and misunderstandings can create evil situations. Most of the time, people who appear to be evil are really victims of evil deeds.”