Anne Bancroft quotes
“Life is here only to be lived so that we can, through life, earn the right to death.”
“- Ma Beckoff: Friend-friend, or euphemism-friend?
- David: He used to be a euphemism, now he's just a friend.”
“You cheated me out of your life and then blamed me for not being there.”
“- Estelle Rolfe: I wanna meet Garbo!
- Gilbert Rolfe: Why?
- Estelle Rolfe: Why shouldn't I? I'm dying!”
- Rabbi Jacob "Jake" Schram: You want an example? I take her out to dinner, I order dessert, she says she doesn't want any, I get pecan pie. She asks me for a bite, I give her a bite, her face swells up like a chipmunk, she looks at me and says, "Oh, my God, are there nuts in this?"
- Ruth Schram: So what?
- Rabbi Jacob "Jake" Schram: Mom! It... (continue)(continue reading)
“If your head's in the toilet, don't blow bubbles.”
“You have to marry for the right reasons, and marry the right person.”
“No politician can afford to let women come home in body bags.”
“Henry! A car full of Larsons almost died there!”
“- Doctor Martha Livingston: Suppose the saints would have smoked if tobacco'd been popular back then?
- Mother Miriam Ruth: Undoubtably. Not the ascetics, of course, but, well, St. Thomas More.
- Doctor Martha Livingston: Long, thin, and filtered!
- Mother Miriam Ruth: St. Ignatius would smokecigars and then stub them out on the soles of his...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Anna Bronski: All these flowers on a Lieutenant's pay, you shouldn't have.
- Lieutenant Andre Sobinski: That's ok. My father is a florist.”
“- Mrs. Kendal: Why, Mr. Merrick, you're not an elephant man at all.
- John Merrick: Oh no?
- Mrs. Kendal: Oh no... no... you're a Romeo.”
“First you invade Poland, then you invade Warsaw, then you invade my dressing room... you people are compulsive invaders!”
“- Arnold Beckoff: Ma... I miss him.
- Ma Beckoff: Give yourself time, Arnold. It gets better... But, Arnold, it never goes away. You can work longer hours, adopt a son, fight with me, whatever... it'll still be there. But that's all right, it becomes a part of you, like learning to wear a ring or a pair of eyeglasses. You get used to it. And...” (continue)(continue reading)
“- Doctor Martha Livingston: The Catholic Church doesn't have a corner on morality.
- Mother Miriam Ruth: Who said anything about the Catholic Church?
- Doctor Martha Livingston: You just did.
- Mother Miriam Ruth: What the hell does the Catholic Church got to do with you?
- Doctor Martha Livingston: Nothing.
- Mother Miriam Ruth: What have we...” (continue)(continue reading)
“My dear, I don't think a Communion wafer has the recommended daily allowance of anything.”