Jonathan Pryce quotes
“We are seeing a globalization of indifference. There is a culture of conflict, which makes us think only of ourselves. Makes us live in soap bubbles which, however lovely, are also insubstantial. We've become used to the suffering of others. It doesn't affect me. No one in our world feels responsible. Who is responsible for the blood of our...” (continue)(continue reading)
“Truth may be vital, but without love, it is unbearable. Caritas in veritate.”
“We all suffer from spiritual pride. We all do. You must remember that, uh... you are not God. In God, we move, and live, and have our being. We live in God, but we are not of it. You're only human.”
“- Pope Benedict: In 1978, we had three popes.
- Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio: Yeah, but they weren't at the same time.
- Pope Benedict: I was making a little joke.
- Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio: A joke?
- Pope Benedict: A German joke. It doesn't have to be funny.”
“We have spent these last years disciplining anyone who disagrees with our line on divorce, on birth control, on being gay. While our planet was being destroyed, while inequality grew like a cancer. We worried whether it was alright to speak the Mass in Latin, whether girls should be allowed to be altar servers. We built walls around us, and all...” (continue)(continue reading)
“The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.”
“- Pope Benedict: This is your ego talking. You think you know better.
- Pope Francis: I'm Argentinian. How does an Argentinian kill himself? He climbs to the top of his ego, and jumps off.”
“When no one is to blame, everyone is to blame.”
“- Joan Castleman: I can't take the humiliation of holding your coat and arranging your pills and picking the crumbs out of your beard and being shoved aside with all the other wives to talk about some goddamn shopping trip while you, while you say to all the, the gathering sycophants that your wife doesn't write! Your wife, who just won the...” (continue)(continue reading)
“People in love should never live together. When they do, the inevitable result is that they either fall out of love or drive one another insane.”
“- Harry Tuttle: Bloody paperwork. Huh!
- Sam Lowry: I suppose one has to expect a certain amount.
- Harry Tuttle: Why? I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone. Now they got the whole country sectioned off, you can't make a move without a form.”
“If this is dying, I don't think much of it.”
“Semen. What is it about that ridiculous white secretion that pulls down the corners of an Englishman's mouth?”
“- Lytton Strachey: I know it was an obscene and ridiculous war, but, I suppose its quite convenient to have one.
- Lady Ottoline Morrell: Now we shall see some real progress, Lytton. We're on the threshold of a golden age.
- Lytton Strachey: You know, Ottili, given the circumstances, I really think we ought to dance.”
“- Elliot Carver: Mr. Wallace, call the president. Tell him if he doesn't sign the bill lowering the cable rates, we will release the video of him with the cheerleader in the Chicago motelroom.
- Tom Wallace: Inspired, sir.
- Elliot Carver: And after he signs the bill, release the tape anyway.
- Tom Wallace: Consider him slimed.”
“- Lytton Strachey: I'm so busy nowadays. I've been learning German, as well. I must say its the most disagreeable language.
- Dora Carrington: Then why learn it?
- Lytton Strachey: Oh, my dear... suppose they win?”
“- Sam Lowry: Excuse me, Dowser, can you put me through to Mr. Helpmann's office?
- Dowser: I'm afraid I can't sir. You have to go through the proper channels.
- Sam Lowry: And you can't tell me what the proper channels are, because that's classified information?
- Dowser: I'm glad to see the Ministry's continuing its tradition of recruiting the...” (continue)(continue reading)